Bee stings and swelling/allergy

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Steve_of_sandspoultry, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Yesterday I was cutting the grass and found a nest of ground bees. So I got stung on the calf and once or twice on the back of my hand. My calf swelled some but my hand really swelled, up to my elbow. This morning it's down some (by about 1/2) I was allergic to bee stings as a kid and grew out of it. It now has me wondering if it's coming back or the location of the sting? Any ideas?

Steve

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Take some benadryl just in case. I would think if it was a severe allergy, you would have seen more symptoms pretty quickly. It could have just been a reaction to something on the stinger.

3. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Stings to the hand have been the worst for me. They swell and throb worse than being stung any where else. Benadryl helps and I even found Benadryl gel the other day at the store to put on bites or poison ivy. Are you having any other signs of allergic reactions?

4. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    DH got stung by something a few weeks ago. It was on his calf and his whole lower leg swelled for days. He made an appt with his doctor but it went way down the next day so he canceled. I would just take some Benadryl and watch it.

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Thanks guys, my calf and ankle swelled but nothing like my hand. I was thinking on the back of the hand and the blood vessels right there? Not having any other reactions, when I was a kid I would have trouble breathing. Yaaaaaaaaaaaay for bees!!!!!!

Steve

6. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:Steve, sounds like the sort of allergic reaction my wife gets. She was very allergic as a kid and had to have 2 epi pen kits etc etc... Sorta outgrew it much like you, but if she gets stung on her torso above the waist or high on the arm, neck head face etc then it is bad news and she goes to the hospital.

Something about how far away from her throat and chest. Says she can feel it closing up on her.

For stings like you had, she usually soaks sting to draw out poison (epsam salts?) and takes a couple of benedryl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by