Bee whysee (BYC) We See Bees in our backyard, swarming or new home?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Nifty-Chicken, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

I sent my daughter to the backyard to get something and she came back in and said, there is a bee out there. She's got a terrible fear that every single bee is out to get her, so she steers clear of them.

So, out I went to retrieve the thing and while picking it up I heard a ton of buzzing. We've had a lot of flies lately and thought it was just a bunch close to head, but then I thought, "that sure is loud for flies!".

I looked up toward the top of a very old shed in the backyard and saw the image below.

I'm wondering, is this a swarm just hanging out for a few days or possibly bees that have found a new permanant home?

I'm tempted to just leave them bee [​IMG] especially with all the recent bee decimation around the US.

If we decide to have them removed I'll definitely bee looking on craigslist for local bee peeps to try to relocate them. Maybe it is time for me to get into beekeeping?

[​IMG]

2. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    I'd be scared to go out there too!!! [​IMG]

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Smart kid!

Ill wager they have a new home. I have a friend that had an entire wall of his house infested with them. It cost a lot of money to root them out. Good thing he was insured.

Assuming you've never seen them before, I recommend you get em out now - or learn to like 'em.

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Yeah, that may just be the tip of the iceberg. The warm weather has them stirring about, but Lord knows what may be hiding in the wall or somewhere you can't see them. I know a lot of beekeepers will come and remove them. If you have to call an exterminator, tell them you want them to be rehomed, not destroyed, they usually have people they can call. I want to have some bee hives too. Let's get a Backyard Beehive site going so I can learn how too.

5. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    yikes! i hate bees.....

no beekeeping here

6. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Call your local Agriculture Dept & also Wildlife & Fisheries; they usually have a list of beekeepers who will come remove the bees for you.

7. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

We were going to tear down the shed anyway, so we're not out anything by letting them stay.

They have to be pretty recent (last few weeks) or I think we would have noticed them earlier?

My wife wants to replace the inside shed wall with plexiglass so we can watch them. [​IMG] It is fun to go inside the shed and put an ear against the wall and hear all the buzzing and bumping into the wall.

8. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    If you keep them, maybe you can figure out how to attach a super (the part of a commercial bee hive that gets harvested) to the honey storage chamber and collect the honey.

IMHO, bees are really cool and there is very little to be afraid of. A friend keeps her hive in our yard. We have no trouble, even when we have a party with ~60 people around. And our garden was quite prolific. Either keep them, relocate them into a hive, or let a keeper have them would be my preference.

9. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    If it's a swarm, you will see them hanging in a glob somewhere. If they've taken up home, you should be able to find where that is by observing them come and go.

If they are honey bees and aren't bothering you and you don't mind them being there, I would leave them. Honey bees are not vicious at all. If you really are interested in bee keeping, find someone who will help you relocate them to a hive in your yard.

Honey bees are a joy to keep and they are fascinating creatures. They are sweet little things and not the least aggressive - unless you are messing with them, and then they sometimes may get a bit testy.

I think it's wonderful you may have a hive somewhere! And I think it's even more wonderful that you are willing to live in peace with them.

Let us know what you end up doing!

Take care,
    Penny

10. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    According to the beekeeping class I took 2 weeks ago the bees are at their calmest when they swarm.Calling around should result in someone who wants to come get them for you. If you can find someone who has a kind of hive called top bar hive you will be sending your bees to a hobbiest bee keeper who is more organically oriented in beekeeping the other hives called langstroths are geared more at higher honey production. Hope that helps and you find a new home for them soon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by