1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bee yard rental?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by alicefelldown, Jan 22, 2011.

1. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Apologies if this has been discussed before.

I've been talking to a local beekeeper who is looking to rent a yard for hive growth/queen introduction before moving the bees out of state in April. I would like to offer him use of my 4.5 acres - although I do not grow crops. I am situated "next door" to both lemon and avocado orchards.

What would be a fair trade for use of my land? x$ + honey? honey only? I have found a sample 'pollination contract' that ideally we would fill out so I could not be held responsible if anything were to happen.

Please let me know if you have any idea, or know a better place I can ask.

Thanks!

2. alicefelldown

Aug 18, 2008
    I know it's a reach - but anyone?

3. greenriver

greenriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Wilmington, Il
    10 dollars a hive?

4. chix4me

chix4me New Egg

Jan 23, 2011
    Portland, ME
    some honey would be nice but supporting a bee colony is imperative to our life resources. please consider doing it for free - you'll get a benefit just by having them there on the land. and you'll feel good about yourself!

5. Orpygal

Orpygal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Eastern Panhandle WV
    Quote:Agreed.

6. greenriver

greenriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Wilmington, Il
    Free would be great but if there are any seedless citrus growers nearby they may not be glad you did.

And I believe you are in the Africanized zone although I haven't looked at southern California in a few years.

Discuss both with your beekeeper.

7. GSCforester

GSCforester Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2010
    How many hives are you talking about? You can keep 10 hives in a small space the size of a bedroom, so unless it is a lot more than that you will not "loose" much of your land for storage. Even though you don't have crops, the bees will forage for up to three miles from the hive, so that is no problem. Have you considered keeping bees yourself? It is really fun and you get your own honey. If it were me I might suggest that I allow them to store the hives on my land in exchange for the bees themselves. If it is a small amount of hives I would ask for a swarm or a split of the hives to start my own, or if there are a bunch of hives I might ask for a full hive in return for the storage.

8. beerman

beerman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Smithville, il
    Around here I just trade honey for yard use. If people want money I move on.
    Brian

9. alicefelldown

Aug 18, 2008
    Quote:I'm well aware of CCD. However, he is asking what I would like to charge and I'm trying to get an idea of what other people do. At the very least, I want some honey in return, but cash is always helpful in these tough times.

Quote:He says 50 hives.

You bring up a good point, a hive of my own would be very beneficial and is something I've thought of obtaining for some time now.

Thanks everyone!

10. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    If he was bringing the hives onto your land to pollinate YOUR crops a fee of $100 dollars or more would be reasonable that the beek would chare YOU. But since your allowing him to place hives onto your land temporarily....I would say just some honey would be nice as it is costing you nothing really to let him place them there correct? Maybe see if your interested if he would help you get started in the hobby and give you a hive. I also have permission to place my excess hives onto properties nearby. I just give each landowner a few lbs of honey.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by