Beed advice for run roof!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickieschicks, May 3, 2017.

1. chickieschicks

chickieschicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2017
    Long Island, New York
    Our four chickens won't be free ranging in our yard for the most part due to predators. They will be spending most of their time in a12x12 run. Trying to decide what type of roof to use so they get adequate sun but won't bake. Any advice greatly appreciated!

2. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    Our run has a solid roof, there seems to be plenty of sun coming in from the sides. In the summer they will welcome the shade. A solid roof will also allow the chickens to be outdoors during rain or snow.

3. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Mine is metal roof panels over plywood set atop rafters. Nice and substantial. Capable of withstanding wind and snow load.

With only 4 hens you could probably get away with roofing only half of your run.

4. M T Pockets

M T Pockets Just Hatched

Oct 27, 2016
    [​IMG]Our Hen House is 4x8 with metal over plywood roof. The run is 8x12 x80"high with 3-4x8 roof panels made with 2x4's and 1/2" hardware cloth. After I finished it I decided to cover half of it with metal also so they have a 6x8 covered area to get out of the rain and since the house is off the ground 24" they have an additional 4 x8 feet of cover. Even on nice days they spend a great deal of time in one corner under the house napping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by