1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Beef jerky - what cut of beef to buy?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by NancyDz, Oct 28, 2009.

1. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Okay I want to try making some jerky but I would have to buy the meat. What cut of beef should I buy to make jerky? The recipe I have, I would marinate the meat over night but I have no idea what cut of beef would make good jerky?

Also any marinades you want to share that you like would be great too...

Thanks

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I make my jerky out of hamberger. Works great and my family prefers it to tougher jerkies.

3. NGT ANGL

NGT ANGL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Locust Grove, VA
    Quote:I use hamburger also. I like the texture much better although I did make venison jerky last year out of the tenderloin and it was very good and had a good texture - not too tough.

4. chunkydunk

chunkydunk Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    Hodges SC
    I always use a london broil sliced thin.

5. paulray2

paulray2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2008
    Ground Round

6. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    I use rump roast. I was just thinking about making some today.

I use this recipe.
    1/2 c soy sauce
    1/2 c worcestershire sauce
    1 tsp lemon pepper

I put it in a gallon zip lock baggie and add meat. Just make sure all the meat gets marinade on it. For a large roast I might use 2 baggies each with 1 cup of marinade and 1 tsp lemon pepper. Every time I go by fridge and think of it I flip the baggies over to kind of stir it around. Usually I leave it over night.

Now I gotta go to the store for rump roast. [​IMG]

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

we use Sirlion tip roast.

Steve in NC

8. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Rump roast.

9. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    thanks everyone [​IMG]

10. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    You'll get more flavor from the roast cuts, tenderloin and such have good texture but less flavor not to mention being expensive).

I get a cheap rump roast or brisket. Freeze it for 30-60 minutes depending on how thick it is. You don't want to totally freeze it, just get it to where you can slice it thin.

Slice thin and diagonally across the grain. Whack the heck out of the strips with the tendorizing mallet.

Marinate in a mix of sliced onion, garlic, lemon juice and worchestershire sauce, and add lots of cracked peppercorns if you want it peppered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by