Beef liver for chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sierrab, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Sierrab

Sierrab Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2014
    I have one week old chicks and am looking for natural feed recipes to make for them. I came across postings about feeding them chicken liver; I don't have chicken liver but I have beef liver and heart from the steer we raised last fall.
    Is it OK to feed beef liver and heart to chicks?

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Yes, but you may want to wait until they are 2 weeks old and make sure they have chick grit available to them. Beef alone would not be enough for them so you will have to have other things in your feed too.

3. Sierrab

Sierrab Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2014
    Thank you. Finally found something to do with the liver and heart.
    I will wait a week. They have chick feed, grit and I have given them hard boiled yolk once. Is that enough or should I add grit into the liver also?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If they have access to the grit free choice, that's enough. The grit stays in the gizzard quite a while, they don't have to ingest it at the same time as they eat. Since it stays internally, a little goes a long ways.

I noticed the title of your thread when I came here to take a break from cooking/baking. We had a fridge/freezer combo die on us recently and just found it this am, so I've been cooking/baking everything salvageable. Stuff too thawed to chance went to the flock--boy, are they happy birds today! I've got two venison livers in the sink, waiting to be cut up a little to go to the flock and the dogs. Fortunately, it was mostly a storage freezer, to keep bugs out of things that don't necessarily need to be frozen, but there was a crapton of zucchini and berries in there. I've baked zucchini muffins and berry cobblers galore today--my friends are also going to be happy tonight!

edited for post-chemo spelling lol

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by