Beefy Goes to Tractor Supply Store...new update

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by beefy, Mar 7, 2008.

1. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    So its been raining here all day and I needed some gas and maybe some potting soil from Lowe's so i figured i might as well swing on by the ol' Tractor Supply while i'm out and about. Chick Days are back starting March 7-29...So i go in just to look around and whats that i hear? it sounds like peeping. i am drawn to the sound. There, in the distance, i see four galvanized water troughs, the sounds emanating from within. i get to the first trough, and look over into it when suddenly! a tractor supply dude jumps up out of nowhere. ACK! i'm just looking i say! why are you bringing me that duckling? back off tractor supply dude! i look over into the first trough and its filled with BUNNIES! brown lopped eared bunnies, black and white erect eared bunnies. you name it, they are in there snuggling together. not NEEDING any bunnies i move on to the next trough. i look over and MORE bunnies. even cuter ones! just in the knick of time a mother comes in and shes there to get a bunny and she doesnt mean maybe! i get out of her way thinking "Heres to you Miss Overzealous Bunny Picker-Outer"... on to the next trough... oh wait, darn tractor supply dude is back with the duckling. what breed of ducks are these i ask? he answers "Assorted." Silly me, clearly, these are of the Assorted breed, my bad. on to the next trough. this trough contains chicks. about 75% of the chicks are plain ol boring yellow chicks. they all look alike. then there are some browner ones that look like rhode islanders. and a couple of tiny chicks that ware yellow with a black dot on their head. A Tractor Supply lady approaches, "What are they peeping about?" she asks. "IDK, do you know what breeds they are by chance?". All i can tell you, she says, is these *picking up a brownish looking chick* are Rhode Island Reds. i say "yeah thats what i figured. most of these yeller ones look like buff orpingtons, and i guess this tiny one is a bantum." Probably, she says. oh look theres another one! Well, since they all look pretty much the same and i dont really want any RIRs or Buff Orpingtons i go look at the ducklings again. most of them are plain ol yeller ducks too with a few khaki quambells mixed in. one duckling in particular, looks up at me and winks. what a cute little duck i think. i should probably get that one. he stretches up again, looks me straight in the eye, and gives me another wink. I leave the Tractor Supply store without purchasing a thing, and that-my friends-is how its done!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  2. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    hmmm, really??? Are you sure. 'Cause I really don't see it happening that way when I go next month. Really. Any winking ducks will be in my car in a heart beat. Especially if they're khaki campbells!! [​IMG]

3. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    awesome beefy just awesome

4. Cheekon

Cheekon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    NY
    I sure hope they have chicks when i go tomorrow.... [​IMG]

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    ok in 1/2 an hour I predict he will post pictures of his new bunnies, ducks, and chicks. [​IMG]

Henry

6. allig8r

allig8r Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That would certainly qualify as "assorted"

7. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Thank you for the warning. I shall stay very very very very far away from TSC, especially so since I have an incubator full of eggs and chicks in a bucket. The hubby would be frowning heavily upon me.

He is also still ignorant I put turkey eggs in the incubator, too. Don't tell him.

8. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    im glad i was just drinking water when i read your pot bliss, i almost spit it on the screen."he is also still ignorant i put turkey eggs in the incubator"

9. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Beefy Burt you are too funny!! [​IMG] Congrats on the winking duckling.

10. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Quote:I love the rare assorted breed, they never seem to look alike, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by