1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Beefy Needs Your Help! UPDATE on Florence and her mystery egg

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by beefy, May 14, 2008.

1. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    I need every one of you to put on your detective caps and help me out to solve this mystery.

i'll try to provide as much information as possible, if you need more info just ask.

Ive been collecting Flo and Pearl's eggs. they seem to be laying pretty regular. i usually get an egg from each everyday. one day a while back i thought Flo was prolapsing as she had something pinkish and long hanging out and wasnt having any of Conway's lovin that day and normally Florence is pretty easy...
    Well the next day she was fine and then the day after that i find a wind egg in her nest. it was longish and narrow. shes been laying normally since then. Pearl is a better quality layer, her eggs are larger and shes more reliable than Flo who occasionally will lay a soft shelled egg. so i went to collect Flo's egg one day and i find this tiny little brown grape-sized egg in her nest. In her nest i have three of her eggs marked plus the one wind egg i didnt collect and i just grab the new egg whenever she lays. below are the eggs.

The top two are Flo's eggs. left is her normal egg, middle is her wind egg, and right is the mystery brown egg. on bottom is Pearl's egg.
    [​IMG]
    in these pics the wind egg doesnt appear as long and slender as it really is.

see how much browner the mystery egg is?
    [​IMG]

Also, if this brown egg didnt come from Flo she didnt lay that day, and she layed a largish for her egg the following day.

Now, here are some possible scenarios i've thought of:

1) The egg belongs to Flo. it was in her nest for crying out loud. maybe she just ate a bunch of chocolate or something?

2) The egg is from some random bird and isnt even a chicken egg. (but i mean really, who lays eggs in a chicken nest?)

3)The brown egg came from one of my barred rocks or black austrolorps who are 8-9 weeks old.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  2. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    i have no idea but i wanted to tell you that i luv your signature!
    good luck with your mystery egg [​IMG]

3. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

What's a "wind" egg? I have a RIR hen who lays one of those long narrow eggs every day, why's it called a "wind" egg?

How old is Flo & Pearl? If they're young yet, maybe the one is just "gettin' in the groove" yet? Doesn't like the routine boring?[​IMG][​IMG]

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

The mystery egg looks like a Silkie egg.

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    i just got some phoenix eggs. They look identical

6. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    i found this page on egg oddities! very interesting.
    http://www.poultryhelp.com/oddeggs.html

whoever heard of an egg within an egg! thats nuts.

anyway, i guess Flo's egg is more of an odd shaped egg than a wind egg.

Flo and Pearl are 1 year and 3 months old.

i had considered that maybe it was cowbird egg since they are parasitic and lay their eggs in other birds nest for them to raise but i looked htem up and they are very speckledy eggs.

its highly unlikely that i have a silkie or a feenix hiding out in the "bush"

7. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    the mostly likely scenario is that Flo laid the egg herself and its just a different color than any other egg shes ever layed. lol. i didnt think they were supposed to do that. surely the barred rocks and australorps couldnt lay an egg so early.

8. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Quote:[​IMG] I doubt you'll find a silkie in Tina's Flock!

9. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    Good point. if this is a silkie egg they are either more evil than i suspected OR some silkie owner(s) on here (not naming any names but i can think of one that sounds like Dee Ell Aitch Unique Horn) are trying to sabotage my flock. i hope Todd reads this so he will be on the lookout for the infiltration.

10. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    The brown egg looks like a bantam, normally white egg layers wont lay brown eggs, but brown eggs can turn white. Maybe crack it open to see if it looks like a chicken egg on the inside. Could it be a pheasant or some other game bird?
    We get lots of the fart eggs, they just have the white in them. We get quite a few from our bantams, some are long, others are marble like. We have a big collection of them in a basket of all colors, shapes, and sizes.
    On the site with info about egg deformities, we have gotten an egg with a tail before, and have had an egg-in-egg before, the inside egg didnt have a shell, just the membrane.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by