Been attacked

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by JJS2000, May 5, 2017.

1. JJS2000

JJS2000 New Egg

May 5, 2017
    My buff Orpington chicken was attacked by a dog it's not bit here but it's got hold of her back feathers and now she will not come out her house or stand up and keeps lifting her feathers up what do I do to make her back to normal [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You will either have to cull her if the wounds are too bad, take her to a vet, or let her heal up on her own. Chickens can heal up from some nasty wounds. Let her be, after an initial assessment of the wounds. If they aren't too deep spray them with bluekote. Otherwise keep her quiet, and keep the dog away.

3. JJS2000

JJS2000 New Egg

May 5, 2017
    There's no cuts on her before it happened she was acting like she was just about to come broody and we got her out about an hour ago and she just had something to eat and walked around for about 5 minutes and then went back in

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She sounds she's okay, I would just let her be. Is she still broody?

5. JJS2000

JJS2000 New Egg

May 5, 2017
    She's sitting on no eggs and is not pecking at me when I pick her up but she's puffing out her feathers and just sits on the floor but eventually gets up

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Hens don't need eggs to be broody, and not all broodies peck at hands. Some are silently stoic. I would suspect she's broody.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC....sorry you're having troubles.

She may be in shock after the attack....and having a bunch of feather yanked out is not comfortable.
    Just give her a few days to rest and recuperate and keep an eye on her.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I think she was damaged by dog attack. Tooth punctures often hard to seen. With dog and coyote bites, greater damage that kills / maims is associated with crushing part of bite. Keep her cool and in a dark place. My high value birds so damaged would be given antibiotic with water and no feed. If bird does not drink, then apply as a drench.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by