Been awhile...forgot some stuff!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Longview, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Longview

Longview Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2011
    Northern IL
    I am aiming for the end of March to bring in chicks. I will probably order from Ideal or MMH because I have a very specific wish list, lol!

I remember that I put the chicks immediately onto newspaper in a tote, but it is so messy. How soon could they go onto cob or sawdust?

I may have as many as 25 chicks and have the outdoor space to accommodate that many adults. They will be layers or duals. How many nest boxes will I need? I was given our last one that had WAY more nests than I needed so I never thought to ask. [​IMG]

2. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I'm new to chickens but it is my understanding that during the first week to use paper towel because news paper can cause splayed legs. Also 1 nest box can accomidate 7 chickens, but to also provide other roosts for them to sleep on. Good luck on your chics. :)

3. chickenmanII

chickenmanII Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2012
    Florida
    You should have about 1 box for every 4 hens. Alot of times you will have more than 4 lay in 1 box but it doesn't matter as long as they have the room if they need it; and I'm not sure bout the chicks, but i think its after a day and they start eating you can put them on bedding of some kind. The reason you use paper is so they eat the food not the shavings; once they learn that they will be fine.

4. Longview

Longview Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2011
    Northern IL
    Thank you both! Apyl, I am pretty sure I did use paper towel at first. I can't really remember, but I never had any splayed legs. Thanks for the reminder! ChickenmanII, that is what I thought (about the bedding), but better to be safe than sorry, right?

5. chickenmanII

chickenmanII Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2012
    Florida
    Absolutely: my wife and i actually just got our chicks 2 weeks ago, so far they're doing great. We also started back up after a long break; we took bout 7 years off then got back into chickens so we had to research a lot too. Good luck with your chicks when you get them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by