Been fighting cocci for 6 days! Please help my chicks and I!

Shikens!

Chirping
8 Years
May 2, 2011
My chicks are 3 1/2 weeks old. I have had them since they were 3 days. They have been on medicated food since I got them. I have been taking them outside to play about 3 times a week since I got them.

Last Friday evening I noticed the smell of death on my chicks poop. Within an hour their poop went from perfect, to thin strings in liquid, to total liquid, and several were hunched over, feathers poofed out and necks drawn in. There was not a farm type store open at 830 PM so I had to stay up all night nursing them. Forcing them to drink powdered milk mixed with electrolyte water every 2 hours. Thankfully they never got to the point that they were pooping blood.

Saturday morning first thing my fiance went to TSC and got corid. They only had the 20% soluble powder. I did a search on BYC and only found 1 or 2 threads about the 20% soluble powder form of corid. One thread said 1/2 tsp per gallon of water. So everyday since Saturday I have given them this dosage in their water. I have also given them yogurt with the tiniest amount of the corid sprinkled on top almost every day. I mix fresh solution daily.

Their poop went back to solid by the end of the first day of meds but other symptoms like the poofed out feathers, hunching over, and drawn in neck keep coming back in one chick after another! This is their 6th day on corid and I just had to nurse a chick back to life making it eat egg yolks and drink medicated water. It was falling asleep on its feet and swaying around like a drunkard and had diarrhea again. I had to shake it awake to make it eat. It's crop was 100% empty and refused todays yogurt treat. It seems like It had starved itself long enough that it had zero energy to keep its eyes open.

I really need help here guys! It seems like I check them one minute and all 8 are fine, then the next minute one or 2 chicks have all the symptoms again!

It is 1/2 TEAspoon of the 20% Corid per Gallon of water for 5 days....

However you are not suppose to be giving them milk or yogurt during that treatment.....(at least that is what I have been told an have always followed).

The yogurt and milk coat the lining preventing the absorption of the meds...and increase the good bacteria....you are suppose to follow up the treatment with a mash or feed and yogurt for a few days AFTER the treatment is done...that is the only thing i can think of that might be effecting them.....other chicks once they get Cocci just are not strong enough to pull through.

Best Wishes to all of you and hope they get better soon,
Laura

Sulmet would be your better coccidiostat for severe cases. Make sure their bedding is clean and dry. Make sure they are warm enough, about 85 degrees at 3 weeks. Force them to drink treated water if necessary. Sulmet will usually clear it up in a couple of days but you should see results in a few hours.

Quote:
tsp=teaspoon

I read that you give yogurt during treatment to help prevent damage from the meds... I will stop the yogurt. What does this mean? Do I just keep giving them medicine for days and days with no end in sight?

Quote:
Do I need to do anything special or can I just swap them over to sumlet?

Corid is gentile on the system and Sulmet is a lot harder but more effective on the severe cases...If you are going to switch them over....then stop the corid...you should have finished your 5 day course anyways if you are on day 6

Shikens! :

Quote:

I would swap them over to Sulmet and use at least 1 Tablespoon per quart of water to give them a good kick start. It sounds like they are just not getting enough from the corid. We have always preferred Sulmet and get much better results from it. Do you have sulmet available?​

Quote:
Yeah I realize I am past my 5 days, that's why I'm posting this. My chicks are clearly still sick so I didn't want to stop medicating without checking here first. So to switch to sulmet, stop the corid... then what? Just give them sulmet? Wait a day? Wait 5 days? What do I do?

Quote:

I would swap them over to Sulmet and use at least 1 Tablespoon per quart of water to give them a good kick start. It sounds like they are just not getting enough from the corid. We have always preferred Sulmet and get much better results from it. Do you have sulmet available?

Ok, thanks for that. Do I need to wait any period of time between meds? I have no clue if there is sulmet in any of the farm stores around here. I will start the hunt tomorrow. Thank you!

ETA- What am i looking for? Is sulmet a bag of powder, a bottle, what? I see sulmet in pill form on TSC.com but that's it.

Last edited:
Shikens! :

Quote:
Yeah I realize I am past my 5 days, that's why I'm posting this. My chicks are clearly still sick so I didn't want to stop medicating without checking here first. So to switch to sulmet, stop the corid... then what? Just give them sulmet? Wait a day? Wait 5 days? What do I do?

Stop the Corid. Clean their brooder area so it is clean and dry. Leave them on medicated chick feed and start them on the sulmet right away. If indeed it is cocci it should be noticably better within 24 hours.​

Back
Top Bottom