1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Been gone for 2+ days will eggies be okay?? *Update* I'm sad.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Suellyn, May 16, 2009.

1. Suellyn

Suellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    Unexpectedly/unavoidably had to leave with family from Weds evening til now (Sat afternoon), while I have eggs in the 'bator... [​IMG]

And not just *ANY* eggs, but some "wish list" eggs shipped from Hinkjc (Buff Orps) !!!

Anyway, I set the incubator to a "low end" temp (figured safer than high temp, since I have an LG that can FLUCTUATE), and made it more humid than I normally would before I left, knowing that humidity would drop while I was gone, but hopefully stay in a "safe" range throughout (which it seems to have done...).

Anyway, "egg status" is;
    Out of 8 BO eggs, I had 7 that looked like they were developing before I left. Out of those 7, all of them have developed further, and there is definite movement in 4 of them, maybe 5... The other 2 are further along than they were, but nothing swimming around that I can see. (?) ALL of them are more "developed" (veining, etc.) on one side, with the other side looking more "clear", obviously from having been NOT turned for a couple days... air cells lopsided, too, for same reason.

I am only on day 9 right now, which means I left on the evening of day 6, and was GONE for days 7 & 8...

Oh, egg #8 looks "clear", but it has since before I left. I also have 2 RIR eggs that I pulled outta the fridge & put in that look "clear" also... but I dont think they were going to do anything, anyway...

*DO I STILL HAVE A CHANCE WITH SOME OF MY ORP EGGS??*

Has anyone ever had decent hatches with no turning for a couple days, plus lopsided developement/air cells????

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ..... Thanks!!!

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  2. Sachasmom

Sachasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    Upstate NY
    I'm just terrible at remembering to turn mine, which may have something to do with my lousy hatch rates, besides which I have had a terrible time with the humidity and temps. I have a homemade bator, I just got a LG forced air in time for the last few days though!

I still had 8 hatch plus one that pipped and died despite low temps, low humidity and my inability to turn. PLus I was gone for 4 days, and who knows how many times they got turned (if at all!) by my son!

So you should get at least some of them to hatch! [​IMG]

3. Suellyn

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    Thanks, I will keep an eye on them (candling) and hope for the best... [​IMG]

4. Suellyn

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    Okay... I think six, POSSIBLY all 7, are still alive & swimming [​IMG] !!

Still concerned about the odd-looking lopsided air cells in some of them... but this is my first time hatching shipped eggs, so don't know how much of this is lack of turning for 2 days, and how much might be due to shipping??

The "lopsided developement" of veins is I'm sure due to lack of turning, tho... I am hoping it will even out a bit after a few days of turning & growing...

??? anyone else ever deal with this ??? what kind of hatch did you get??

5. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    I don't really know what you mean by lopsided air cells and lopsided veins... Would you be able to explain more in-depth, or even post a candling picture if possible? I know that embryos and veins don't fill up the whole egg for the first part of incubation, so are always on one side of the egg (whichever side is facing upwards at the time), but I don't know how an egg would look "lopsided". Also, some air cells develop sort of tilted to the side, if that makes sense. That's how they are during hatching.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  6. Suellyn

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    I will try to post candling pix this evening, if I can get some good shots...

I know development is not "symmetrical" per se, but this just looks alot different than my other eggs have in the past. ALL of the veins/development are on one side, with almost a dividing line... would have thought possibly a blood ring except for DEFINITE movement/swimming in a number of them.

Air cells REALLY off to one side, as opposed to more or less at the top, and instead of looking "flat" across the bottom, several of them are very wavy-looking. Ugh, hard to describe [​IMG] ... will try for pix tonight...

7. Suellyn

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    [​IMG] I think I'm losing them [​IMG]

At LEAST 2 of them look "worse" tonight.. Veins not as visible (dissapearing), and altho I saw faint movement in the one, I saw NO movement in the other, and they just seem too "loose" in there. Again, hard to describe, but even with VERY GENTLE handling, it's like the contents just want to swirl around in there... Almost looks too "watery" in there, as opposed to normal thicker goo.

I don't know if my descriptions make much sense, probably not.

I'm very sad.

I tried for pictures but my stupid camera wouldn't cooperate & I didn't want to keep them out or handle them any more than nesc.

Air cells still goofy- lopsided & odd shapes- in most of them. I hope I don't loose them all, but it is definitely not looking good.

[​IMG]

8. Suellyn

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    Ummmm... okay, I am probably just talking to myself at this point, but latest update:

The 2 worst-looking ones are definitely dead.
    5 left that are still hanging in there, but I'm very worried about them.

We'll see. [​IMG]

9. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I wish there was something I could do to help! Just keep your chin up and maybe it isn't as bad as you think! If it is, try, try again! I know it's hard to lose a hatch, trust me! You will succeed! [​IMG]

10. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    If you should ever have to leave a bunch in progress again, and still don't have an auto-turner, you might do better to leave them in a carton bottom, small end down, in an upright position. It's still not ideal, but that way, the air cell stays where it belongs, and there's less chance of the embryo sticking to one side. Then when you return, gently tip the carton, and prop one end. Wait a few hours, tip the other way. Do that a few times before you lay them back horizontal again. Maybe work toward getting them horizontal, in stages. That way, if there is any sticking, they might gently work loose, without abrupt movements that might rupture blood vessels or something. Can't be certain it would work, but worth a try.

Good luck, I hope at least a few make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by