Been hearing a lot about frostbite............

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Back2MyRoots, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Back2MyRoots

Back2MyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Auburn, Alabama
    So I hear a lot about frostbite these days. It's getting colder here in Alabama. Last night, the low was 24 degrees. That, ladies and gentlemen, is ridiculous! (I despise the cold!) However, if you really think about it, Chickens farther north are surviving just fine with no heat lamps in negative degree temperatures! Both of my coops are well ventilated, but still, I worry about my flock, especially my youngest two who are in a small coop by themselves. Big enough to be outside, but too small to go in with the big girls that can be mean old bullies to the little guys.

I've read a lot about provisions to prevent frostbite, but I'd like to know what people actually use. Some people suggest rubbing combs and wattles down with vaseline. I've heard the suggestion of olive oil. One lady even said she covered them in crisco. I also found little knitted bonnets on etsy. I am not about to tie hats onto my girls, but if a drop of oil or a smudge of grease will help, I'm all in. (After all, in the summer, when their feet get dry, I'm out there rubbing their toes, combs and wattles with "Mane and Tail Hoof Builder". Why not something in the winter too?

2. silkensunlight

silkensunlight Out Of The Brooder

Hi there. I live in Ontario and the temps here have been pretty cold...5 degrees overnight lately. I have ISA red hens and they're doing great in the cold. I haven't had any issue with frostbite at all with them. I have a rather large mixed rooster and his comb got a tiny touch of frostbite. The crisco sounds like a good idea.

3. Back2MyRoots

Back2MyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Auburn, Alabama
    Thanks sunlight. So you just leave well enough alone and don't worry about it, more or less?

4. Lupa Duende

Lupa Duende Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    hello
    i am in southern quebec and although i would love some lovely Chanteclers with their tiny combs and winter-hardiness, I have a motley crew of mutts. today is the first day that i have not opened up the doors and let them all have a wander and this is simply a LAZY Mummy issue as i don't want to shovel until the snowfall is over.

so far so good with frostbite prevention..., if I can catch our wee rooster Wallace (he just arrived a fortnight ago and is terribly wary of lurking pink people) i will smear vaseline on his comb.
    scentless petroleum jelly is smashing because it will keep the combs frost-bite free owing to its insulative properties AND it is not tasty to interested barn-mates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by