Been lucky up until today

Billouteast

Hatching
10 Years
Jul 4, 2009
Townsville
I read these predator posts every day and thought myself lucky here in Queensland that we dont have any of the horrible pests you North Americans have. I have killed a large brown snake last week but it may have only been after eggs.

My 6 chooks free range my whole (fenced) yard all day and I even stopped locking the coop at night.

This morning I went outside to check the 2 broodies, I thought I'd broken them and found a RIR chicken wing near their nest. Went out the front yard and found brown feathers everywhere but little else. I knew it was a dog but which one.

About half an hour later a big Mastif looking hunting dog is stalking our fence, nose up looking to jump in. Gotcha.

I chased it off with a pitch fork and spoke to the owners kid, told him "this dog killed one of my hens last night, I'll come to see you dad later."

I called animal control and they told me an investigation would lead to the dog being declared "dangerous" and a prosecution meaning a court appearance. I said I'd speak to them and see what happens.

Anyway, owner was very apologetic and straight away offered to pay for the bird. we agreed on $40 and I told him he'd have to keep it locked up from now on. He was very sorry about it all.

Just goes to show, no matter how safe you think you are.............

I"ll be locking the girls up from now on and now i've got to integrate a new girl into the flock.

Sorry about your girl, but atleast the dog owner paid what was due.
hugs.gif

dog owner didn't keep his word. Said dog was seen yesterday again stalking our fence. I scared it off and it went over to a neighbors house. She started patting it so i went over for a chat. The dog was so emaciated and skinny she wasn't being treated at all well. She was also lactating so had puppies at home. I asked the neighbor to hang on to her while I called the Council Animal Control. they came quickly. We asked him if he could go collect the puppies too but he said if he went to the house, the owner could take the dog back and would only get a $75 fine. Once the dog goes to the pound its $200 and $75 every day thereafter. He would also report them to the RSPCA for neglect.
Hopefully she will be re-homed and find a better life.

Back
Top Bottom