been pipped for 9 hours, how long.... (pic included)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ABCfamily, Apr 14, 2012.

1. ABCfamily

ABCfamily Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    midwest
  2. minpinmama

minpinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    Is it my imagination or is the picture angle,?are those both pipping from the bottom end ?
    (Nearer to the small end of the egg? ZERO progress. if there is even the least bit of progress
    I try to keep my hands off.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  3. ABCfamily

ABCfamily Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    midwest
    yes, both pipping from the pointed end. zero progress in 10 hours
    should i help?
    or let it be?

4. NeTNChknLover

NeTNChknLover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    Kingsport, TN
    As tempting as it is, helping usually isnt helping at all. If they cant get out it usually means they are too weak to get out. In my experience, almost everytime I helped a chick out of the shell it died. Actually the only time that I have done that and had sucess it was with a turkey, go figure. Sometimes it takes them a little bit to get out, sometimes up to 24 hours. Keep an eye on the humidity and just watch and wait. Good luck!!!

5. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    some people will tell you to help, some will tell you do not.

different people different opinions.

I helped a chick out two days ago, and she is just fine.

I'm not saying you should, do what you feel is best, the way i look at it is, if you don't help it, it will die, if i do help it, it will either live or die. i took my chances, MY chick is fine.

My only advice is if you do decide to help, educate yourself first. don't go into it blindly, and hope for the best and prepare yourself for the worst... (which is what you should do when incubating eggs anyway)

Good luck, i hope to see pictures of babies soon either way.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  6. minpinmama

minpinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    I've had the opposite experience as NETN, I have helped a total of 9 chicks from three different hatches and
    only lost two. I feel had I not helped I would of most likely lost all of them.
    In my opinion the tricks to helping are 1) Wait at least 24 hours from first pip to even consider helping.
    2) If each time you check there is even a tiny progress leave it alone until next check.
    3) If you decide to try to help the biggest keys are Slow...Easy....keep chick warm when working on it.
    4) Go SLOW 5) Go SLOW. 6) make tiny strides and give plenty of breaks.

Also as a great resource YOUTUBE helping hatching eggs and watch every video on it you can find on there.

7. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    I agree with the last couple of poster its up to you. Only you can determine if you think the chicks are distressed, things like unusual types of peeping, no peeping, screaming chicks, no change etc.... are all reasons to help IMO. I have helped a couple chicks out and never lost a chick I helped out. On the other side I had 1 zipping and it was doing well on its own so I just left it and went to bed and it died shortly after I went to bed I think. So personally if it were me and there was no other chicks hatching or eggs in the bator then I think I would give it a couple more hours then take them out to check them. I usually hold the eggs with a damp towel when working on them and keep some warm water handy to help keep the membrane moist. As you break the shell and membrane away do it very slow. I use a large dull needle so I have the fine point to break small pieces at a time but its not sharp enough to pierce the skin of the chick.

Go very slow and if you see blood then stop and put it back in the bator for 30 minutes or so and check it again. Be very careful of the placenta/mass on the inside of the shell avoid tearing this. Once the shell is opened enough the chicks can get out on their own then I put them back in the bator and let them actually come out on their own and break the cord themselves to.

Good luck and Youtube.com is a good source for videos of helping chicks hatch.

8. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    WOW with them coming out at the wrong end, there's some concern there. I have helped out TONS of chickens. The key word that everyone is using is 'SLOW", you can't rush it. The judgement is yours if you want to help them, we are all here to walk you threw the process. If you want to wait again we all will wait with you. Only you can tell if there's a probably and should interveen, personally i would be more concerned about them coming out the wrong end. However as long as they are still peeping and still moving, I would give them more time, but if things start to change such as the peeping is getting lower and lower, I would definitely interveen. it's not hard to get them out it does take patients. I don't know about using a needle, I have always used tweezers..

9. DocRobertson

DocRobertson New Egg

Aug 24, 2011
    Hi All. This is "our" very first post, very first incubation, very SAME dilemma.
    Our family, (my wife, myself, two grandkids) Incubated 24 eggs 20 days ago, set them on Sunday eve, so from all Ive read they should be hatching today. Candled at 7 days and 14 days and still have 20 eggs in the bator. Hatch started about 6:30 am day 20 (Saturday) and we now have 9 very healthy baby chicks in there.
    I should say that I'm using a forced air lil Giant with an auto turner, and after much reading, talking to local people that got us started, etc. I decided to go the dry incubation method.
    Had one that pipped early yesterday afternoon and as of bedtime was not making any progress. None at midnight, none at 2 a.m.,. so concerned, I checked and a foot was at the opening in the shell. Any way, the membrane was terribly dry, and about 30 minutes ago the decision to help was made. Chick is alive but seams to be very weak. Don't know if it has the energy to get itself out or not.
    Wish us luck.

10. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    AWEE the poor little guy, give him some polyisol, he may need some vitamins to help recover more quickly..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by