Been raining TONS==run is now a muddy mess, how to dry out??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mom22alcorns, Jun 19, 2011.

1. mom22alcorns

mom22alcorns Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Hey all, got a question: It has been storming here nearly every night and hot as you know what. The run is now a soggy yucky mess and is not getting a chance to dry out at all. It is also beginning to smell, which is a problem I have never had until now. We have more stinkin rain forecast for tomorrow night with heat indexes near 105. How can I dry out the run? I worry they will get sick or something being wet all the time. The coop is nice and dry, but with the heat and humidity from the rain they don't hang in there until bedtime. Any advice or help appreciated! [​IMG]

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If there is water standing you can ditch to make it drain, but until it stops raining every day, there's little you can do.

Adding a thick bed of sand will help, but it would be best to let it dry on it's own if possible before covering.

Mud won't make the chickens sick, and throwing in some pelletized lime can help with the odors

3. mom22alcorns

mom22alcorns Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Quote:Thanks! [​IMG] I Took the tarp that covers the last 4 feet of the run off today and that helped a bunch with the drying. It made the hens hang closer to the coop as that was where there was the most shade. I did water switches frequently to try and keep them cooler and that seemed to make a difference. I have the tarp back on tonight and we are expecting storms again by morning. [​IMG] I have not used the pelletized lime before, just the DE, but only in the coop. I will pick some up and give it a whirl. [​IMG] Thanks again for your help! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by