Been thinking a lot about my future flocks....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SamG347, Dec 6, 2009.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Over the years I have always kept a list of certain breeds/colorations that I found interesting or that caught my eye. I have finally narrowed that list down...still not very small. But I hope and plan to have small/medium sized breeding flocks of all these birds after college. Thought I would list them all for you guys to see!
    [​IMG]

Standard Chickens:
    Orpingtons(buff,white,black,blue,splash,lavender..and would love to work with jody on Jubilee orps!)
    Sussex(coronation)
    Wyandottes(silver laced,golden laced)
    Maran(blue copper)
    Araucana(blue,lavedner,blue/lavender duckwing)
    Ameraucana(blue,black,splash,lavender)
    Plymouth Rocks(blue,black,splash)

Bantam Chickens:
    Silkies(white,blue)
    D'anvers(lavender cuckoo)
    Ameraucana(blue wheaten,white)

Turkeys:
    Blue Palm
    Bourbon Red/Jersey Buff
    Chocolate Palm
    Oregon Grey
    Rio Grande Wilds

Ducks:
    Muscovy(chocolate,lavender,blue)

Geese:
    American(buff,blue,lavender)

Gamebirds:
    Ringneck Pheasant(blueback,black,white)
    Bobwhite Quail(several mutations)
    Coturnix Quail(several mutations)
    Chukar Partridge(grey,albino)
    Peach Golden Pheasants
    Impeyan Pheasants

I know I will probably never have them all. But it is a goal of mine once I get my own homestead. Going to college at PSU for Agricultural sciences....possibly Poultry Science. But also interested in Horticulture(crops) and Apiaculture(honey bees)
    Looking forward to an interesting future!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  2. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Wow, that's so awesome-congratulations on being so goal oriented! [​IMG] Hey, if you're gonna dream, dream big and it looks like you've got that covered! I wish you well from the bottom of my heart and pray all your dreams/goals come true!

3. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Good job Sam! Keep those goals going! Have you ever heard of a Spanish Black turkey? A freind of ours from Eastern Oregon brought us some a long time ago, they perished in a flood but were very broody turkeys! I'd love to see those again someday!

4. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Yes the Black Spanish though a Heritage breed are pretty common. And also a very beautiful bird. But the one thing I'm aiming for with my flocks is mostly hard to come by breeds/color mutations. I don't want to have something everyone else has for marketing and the fact that it is a little rarer makes it more of a motive for me to breed them.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by