been thinking again, growing in the run

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by deerchooper, Dec 9, 2013.

1. deerchooper

deerchooper Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    warren, ohio
    hello everyone.

I've been thinking again and im sorry, lol.

im new to chickens, I have 9 as of now in a 8'x16' run. the grass lasted a bit because they were small at the time but it is now gone. I was thinking would it be possible to plant some type of seed, rye, oats, barley or what ever then cover it with some fine welded wire mesh suspended 2" or so off of the ground?

I think in the spring I would give it a try to see what happens.

build a little 2'x2' box of wire 2" high. sow the seeds and place box over top so the chickens cant dig it up. as it grows up threw the wire they could eat away.

I cant free range because I have all types of soaring and 4 legged predators.

or what about a 1' round wire mesh cone.

once again, sorry lol

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Some people make what they call grazing frames like in this article, they seem to work pretty well if you keep after it. http://www.thegardencoop.com/blog/2012/02/07/grazing-frames-backyard-chickens/ The other thing I have seen people do is section off their run into several parts and have one section as a regular run the chickens will just eat bare, and the other parts with grass they only let the chickens in for short periods of time.

3. deerchooper

deerchooper Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    warren, ohio
    that's what I was thinking, thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by