Been very emotional since Wednesday Evening

May 19, 2018
Lynden,Wa
I haven't been on Since this happened. Wednesday hubby went to do his orientation for the new job. At 5:07 phone rang, caller ID said the store name. I didn't think anything about it, thought it was hubby calling me. Wasn't hubby, it was the store manager informing me that Steve was taken to ER by ambulance. Said he got dizzy, sat down for a bit, said he felt fine. He was standing at the computer when all of a sudden he passed out.
Was told he was very dehydrated, that the potassium and magnesium levels were very low. He had diarrhea and there was light blood in undies. He was admitted. Thursday they ran tests. Gastroenterologit came in and talked with us. Scheduled a colonoscopy to be done Friday morning to find the cause of diarrhea and blood. (Has family history of Crohns). Started the prep solution Thursday Afternoon.
Friday morning when I got there at 8:00, Steve was on the portable toilet and was throwing up. Went through 2 barf bags. Coming out of both ends. He said he had sharp pains at his stomach. I went to massage his stomach to try and relieve some pain. His stomach was so extended and hard as a rock. Went down for the colonoscopy at 9:00. When they were about ready a nurse showed me where to wait. Not even 15 minutes later the Gastrologist came out. Colonoscopy was aborted. As soon as Steve was under he threw up and aspirated, abort was called. They cleaned him up, came out of it fast. They tried to put a tube down to remove the fluid in his stomach, threw up and aspirated again. Took him to recovery. There he threw up and aspirated again. Call was made, taken to ICU. There is a blockage in his stomach, prep fluid wasn't passed through.
I called his brother and told him what was going on. He said he was going to take the night off at work and come up. after they got him settled in, I went in. He was having a hard time breathing of course. After 3 hours I needed to come home and take care of the dogs. His brother came while I was gone. When I got back up there, I freaked out. He had a breathing tube. Nurse said his breathing went way down fast, so the doctor did the breathing tube. Which I understood, his lungs are weak and need help not to work so hard. Nurse also said he is very sensitive to pain medication, his blood pressure went down, heart rate went high even at rest. At 8:00 his blood pressure went dangerously low 69/49. I started to panic and tears started flowing hard. A doctor came in said they were going to put a line into his neck. Then said he can die during this procedure. I got out of the room and completely broke down. A nurse grabbed me and held me. She walked me to a empty waiting room. Had me sit and brought a glass of water. I called our neighbor, she is a social worker. Told her what happened, she said I'll be right there. She got there and kept a hand on me. She could hear what the doctor was saying when he came out of the room. She said he's okay, it went smoothly. She stayed with me until I said I was ready to leave. His blood pressure had come up with the medications. His nurse (Matt) said you try and get some sleep and try to calm down. Don't worry I will call you if the need arises. At 1:00 I called to check up on Steve. Matt said he is resting good, blood pressure is at a acceptable rang and his heart rate has come down. Please get some sleep, Steve needs you healthy. I did fall asleep for 4.5 hours.
I was back at there at 6:45. Matt was still on duty. He said he's doing good. And I can tell you got some rest. I apologized for breaking down, I don't usually do that until I am alone, but the word die triggered me. He said don't apologize you needed the release.
The Gastrologist came in this morning. Said the lungs sound good, no noises. That the CT scan didn't show the blockage if it had the prep wouldn't had been done. That ultrasounds were done and he is pretty sure it is Chrons. So as soon as the lung and kidneys are stable, he will do the endoscopy and colonoscopy, remove the blockage, tubular grows and whatever needs to be removed. Then the Chrons can be brought under control with medications.
We don't have insurance. a medical financial lady has helped us fill out papers. She said with what little money (unemployment) he got this month we will qualify for 75-100% of the hospital bill to be written off. Gave me a number for another place to get an appointment that she believes we will qualify for temporary Medicaid. That medicaid will pay for the doctors & ambulance. If we don't qualify that when we get the letter saying what percentage we qualified for to call the doctors and ambulance and ask if they will honor what peace health is doing. Have an appointment for Wednesday at 10:00. That lady said there maybe other programs we will qualify for also, until he is working & is eligible for insurance. That eased the mind some.
Thank You for reading this long post. I needed to let it out.

Thank goodness the nurse helped you through it. I think I would have gone into cardio arrest hearing about your husband. Life is just one test after after - worse than high school. The stakes are higher.

Hope your husband will have the very best possible outcome. Prayers and love, to you both. :hugs:love

I haven't been on Since this happened. Wednesday hubby went to do his orientation for the new job. At 5:07 phone rang, caller ID said the store name. I didn't think anything about it, thought it was hubby calling me. Wasn't hubby, it was the store manager informing me that Steve was taken to ER by ambulance. Said he got dizzy, sat down for a bit, said he felt fine. He was standing at the computer when all of a sudden he passed out.
Was told he was very dehydrated, that the potassium and magnesium levels were very low. He had diarrhea and there was light blood in undies. He was admitted. Thursday they ran tests. Gastroenterologit came in and talked with us. Scheduled a colonoscopy to be done Friday morning to find the cause of diarrhea and blood. (Has family history of Crohns). Started the prep solution Thursday Afternoon.
Friday morning when I got there at 8:00, Steve was on the portable toilet and was throwing up. Went through 2 barf bags. Coming out of both ends. He said he had sharp pains at his stomach. I went to massage his stomach to try and relieve some pain. His stomach was so extended and hard as a rock. Went down for the colonoscopy at 9:00. When they were about ready a nurse showed me where to wait. Not even 15 minutes later the Gastrologist came out. Colonoscopy was aborted. As soon as Steve was under he threw up and aspirated, abort was called. They cleaned him up, came out of it fast. They tried to put a tube down to remove the fluid in his stomach, threw up and aspirated again. Took him to recovery. There he threw up and aspirated again. Call was made, taken to ICU. There is a blockage in his stomach, prep fluid wasn't passed through.
I called his brother and told him what was going on. He said he was going to take the night off at work and come up. after they got him settled in, I went in. He was having a hard time breathing of course. After 3 hours I needed to come home and take care of the dogs. His brother came while I was gone. When I got back up there, I freaked out. He had a breathing tube. Nurse said his breathing went way down fast, so the doctor did the breathing tube. Which I understood, his lungs are weak and need help not to work so hard. Nurse also said he is very sensitive to pain medication, his blood pressure went down, heart rate went high even at rest. At 8:00 his blood pressure went dangerously low 69/49. I started to panic and tears started flowing hard. A doctor came in said they were going to put a line into his neck. Then said he can die during this procedure. I got out of the room and completely broke down. A nurse grabbed me and held me. She walked me to a empty waiting room. Had me sit and brought a glass of water. I called our neighbor, she is a social worker. Told her what happened, she said I'll be right there. She got there and kept a hand on me. She could hear what the doctor was saying when he came out of the room. She said he's okay, it went smoothly. She stayed with me until I said I was ready to leave. His blood pressure had come up with the medications. His nurse (Matt) said you try and get some sleep and try to calm down. Don't worry I will call you if the need arises. At 1:00 I called to check up on Steve. Matt said he is resting good, blood pressure is at a acceptable rang and his heart rate has come down. Please get some sleep, Steve needs you healthy. I did fall asleep for 4.5 hours.
I was back at there at 6:45. Matt was still on duty. He said he's doing good. And I can tell you got some rest. I apologized for breaking down, I don't usually do that until I am alone, but the word die triggered me. He said don't apologize you needed the release.
The Gastrologist came in this morning. Said the lungs sound good, no noises. That the CT scan didn't show the blockage if it had the prep wouldn't had been done. That ultrasounds were done and he is pretty sure it is Chrons. So as soon as the lung and kidneys are stable, he will do the endoscopy and colonoscopy, remove the blockage, tubular grows and whatever needs to be removed. Then the Chrons can be brought under control with medications.
We don't have insurance. a medical financial lady has helped us fill out papers. She said with what little money (unemployment) he got this month we will qualify for 75-100% of the hospital bill to be written off. Gave me a number for another place to get an appointment that she believes we will qualify for temporary Medicaid. That medicaid will pay for the doctors & ambulance. If we don't qualify that when we get the letter saying what percentage we qualified for to call the doctors and ambulance and ask if they will honor what peace health is doing. Have an appointment for Wednesday at 10:00. That lady said there maybe other programs we will qualify for also, until he is working & is eligible for insurance. That eased the mind some.
Thank You for reading this long post. I needed to let it out.
Wow! Prayers and positive energy coming your way! Hoping all works out for your hubby! Stay strong lady, we are here for you!

My dearest Grampy had Crohns. 80+ years ago we didn't have nearly the info on this illness as we do now!
Some complications did land him in the hospital. Unfortunately for an elder, this results in an all too common downward spiral. This isn't to frighten you, though.
He survived having a broken back in multiple locations. He raised 9 children and babysat 4 great grandkids every day through his 70's, until Grammy underwent both hips replaced and breast cancer back to back. This man could still get on hands and knees to scrub floors or plant the garden until the day he was admitted for complications. He lived into his late 80's despite Crohns.

If this is indeed the resulting diagnosis, your husband can look forward to a long, healthy life with simple management strategies. Receiving such a later life diagnosis means the condition affects him mildly. I know that's not so comforting in this particular moment, but hoping it'll give you some strength.

Blessings to you. Keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom