Beer Brewers Left overs for feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by grateful, Mar 20, 2009.

1. grateful

grateful Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Bozeman, MT
    I have a local brewery willing to give the left overs from thier process as feed doe some eggs in exchange. Do any of you have experience with this? It would include (at least) cooked malts, barley, and some oats depending on the recipe.
    Travis
    Bozeman,Mt

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We do supplement our feed with beer mash we get free from a local brewery. Keep in mind this stuff is wet and needs to dry or it will get moldy within just a few days so only take as much as your chickens will eat in a short period of time. Our brewery gave us a schedule of when they brew and we just call when we want to pick it up. We have thought about freezing it for later use but no freezer space. also, keep in mind that it is not a complete diet and does not contain all the minerals your chickies need so only use it as a supplement. I hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  3. grateful

Feb 24, 2009
    Bozeman, MT
    Thanks
    Just looking into it for a treat now and then. I like the freezer thought.
    Travis
    Bozeman, Mt

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Once we have freezer space, I want to pack it into gallon size freezer bags and freeze it. I think that should work for our 22 chickens!

5. grateful

Feb 24, 2009
    Bozeman, MT
    Yes that is what I was thinking. We receive our first batch of 25 in the mail 4-20-09. Trying to wrap our heads around all the info and looking to get the best feed available to keep healthy and away from chemicals .
    Travis
    Bozaman, Mt

6. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I think I'd rather feed my chicken , chicken feed and trade eggs for
    BEER!!! [​IMG] Sorry couldnt resist.... [​IMG]

7. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    Quote:Same here [​IMG]

8. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Quote:Same here [​IMG]

I tried but they were'nt having any part of it [​IMG]

9. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    You could maybe use the left over beer lees for compost. I dunno. I use my left over wine lees for compost. Before you ask, I aint trading wine for eggs, unless you live close to me then I would probably just give you the wine, age permiting of course.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by