Beer Mash?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ckelley, Dec 30, 2016.

1. ckelley

ckelley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2015
    Southern Colorado
    Can I give my chickens beer mash? I've read a little on fermented grains, and I was going to contact a friend who home brews to get some grains, but then thought about asking him for the mash instead.

He is a biologist that works for and agricultural engineering company that handles wheat and barley fields- so he uses to notch stuff.

Thoughts?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don’t but there are threads on here about people that do. Some smaller commercial operations use it.

I don’t know what grains or other ingredients your friend is using but it is not going to be a complete feed. It’s going to be missing vitamins, minerals, certain amino acids and other stuff they need. If it were readily available and especially free I’d absolutely use it but I’d feed it as a treat, no more than 10% of their total daily diet.

3. ckelley

Jan 26, 2015
    Southern Colorado
    If I were to use the mash, what should I add to it to make it complete? I could ferment it further with the added ingredients right? I don't know how long the process typically takes.

My friend said they are using a malt extract and plan on grain brewing next year, but recommended I contact the local brewery's.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The easy answer to that, 90% regular chicken feed and 10% mash. I don’t know that further fermenting is necessary but should not hurt. If you look at the analysis on the label you can see some of the other nutrients they need. That’s not all of the nutrition they need, but some of the more important.

5. ckelley

Jan 26, 2015
    Southern Colorado
    Good to know! Thanks.

I have an all the time access feeder with medicated chick crumble. 4 girls, and getting 15 chicks in June.

Should I give them the fermented daily in a separate dish, or mix it 1/10 with their crumble? How much/ bird? I think I read somewhere 1-2 tablespoons for "treats".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by