Beer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Spore, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Spore

Spore Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2009
    Oregon
    I have read that horses love a pint of beer every now and then. How about chickens?

2. Seeing a drunken chicken isn't pretty.
    Our neighbor owns a bar that is on their property and the guys that pass by, DRUNK as HECK, since to leave their filled up beer bottles everywhere. Neighbor's chickens got into some of the bottles and it wasn't a pretty sight.

Chickens---are not as bad drunk as a GOAT is! BEWARE for a billy goat when it's drunk!

3. Orpstralope

Orpstralope XL College Raised Eggs

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    similar thread with the same title a little before this one...but my chickens enjoy beer if i dump one out, im not sure of the health side effects besides earlier roost time and a little runny poo (humans urinate more when they drink, why not chickens too?)

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Probably not a good idea. My cousin was having a party and someone decided to get one of the free range chickens drunk--chicken ended up dead drunk.

5. Quote:He killed it?
    [​IMG]

6. Orpstralope

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    I;m sure alcohol can kill a chicken but whenever my chickens ever get beer its no more than one slurp/gargle/whatever that is called. It doesn't hurt them/egg production/or the meat, but it can kill them if they overdose, just like a human.

7. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:He killed it?
    [​IMG]

Yep. It was some sort of hard stuff though, not beer. As I understand it he wasn't trying to kill the chicken, he was drunk and thought the chicken might like to be drunk too.......

8. Orpstralope

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    Sorry to hear about that momma [​IMG]

9. Spore

Spore Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2009
    Oregon
    The difference between beer and hard liquor is pretty large. Obviously drinking too much alcohol will kill any animal.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  10. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:Not one of my chickens. Still sad though. That whole place was a testement to what impulse buying of livestock without proper fencing can get you. The chickens had no coop and sometimes would get into the hog barn.....no happy endings there either. They don't do livestock anymore which is better for all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by