beer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by svalentine, Aug 17, 2010.

1. svalentine

svalentine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Efland NC
    Does anybody else give their hens beer? One night while we were out chllin with the peeps having a beer, we poured a little in an upturned lid. What lushes! They loved it. Hope it isn't harmful. They have been really putting out in the egg department. They just started laying about a week ago and we've been getting 6 a day from 13 hens.

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I've never heard of this. I don't know that it would hurt them unless they drank too much (alcohol poisoning). I bet they were in a real good mood and I bet they slept good that night! Maybe someone more knowledgable will jump in here, I just don't know.

3. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    My OEGB Roo loves it! He pecks it up, shakes his head, then goes back for more!

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Grandpa made beer during Prohibition. The chickens helped clean up after the brewing.

They'd get falling down drunk . . .

I can't say that it was too good for them and there is the issue of alcohol poisoning. Dad was also very anti-Dominecker. To this day, he claims that they were a nearly worthless breed.

Steve [​IMG]

5. CT_Todd

CT_Todd Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Hebron, CT
    Beer for the chickens means less for ME! Can't have that! I love my beer and my belly is proof! :)

6. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    I just named 3 little partridge rock pullets

Barley
    Wheat
    Hops

[​IMG]

My rooster is Shiner Bock

[​IMG]

I've never thought to let THEM drink MY beer, though!

7. svalentine

svalentine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Efland NC
    Just the bottom of the bottle when it gets warm and sudsy.

I wish i could name the hens. But really can't tell them apart.

I'm just so glad their combs started falling over before I gave them the beer.

8. AccioSarah

AccioSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    San Juan, Puerto Rico
    Because they are so small, they are very susceptible to alcohol poisoning, so I would only allow a peck or two.
    Hops (used in the brewing process) are very poisonous to dogs and cats- and I have heard they are to chickens as well. I would look this up as well before sharing beer with your chickens again. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by