BEES...14 days and counting!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SamG347, Mar 25, 2009.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    My 2 packages of honey bees will be arriving either the 7th or 8th of April. I really can't wait!!!! I placed my order for my packages back on January 2nd....and now it is almost finally time! It seems like is has been such a long wait but now only 2 more weeks till they are here! I got Italian bees/Italian Queen. They are coming from Hardeman Apiaries of Georgia. I have everything ready on the hive front...just have to get my beeyard started...aka electric fencing and such. Anyone else getting bees the second week of april? I also have Muscovy ducks hatching that week...and my B-day is that friday!
    [​IMG]

2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I'm not telling my husband you're getting bees and talking about it on here... I'll never get the computer back! BYC is mine! LOL

Very cool for you. Happy birthday! Hope all goes smoothly getting them settled in.

DH is dying for bees, but we're not ready to make the move yet. Maybe next spring...

3. Sebrightmom

Sebrightmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    THat is great about your bees. Mine are coming April 25. I can't wait.

4. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Thanks guys! I'm really excited!
    [​IMG]

5. Sherielu

Sherielu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2008
    Yellville, AR
    Wow! Great minds think alike! I want Bees too so... I signed up for a one day bee class . They teach you the fundimentals and give some hands on experiance, they have it set up so that you can buy hives and get my bees the same day ....if I don't freak out!

I have to say I thought I wanted to ride a motorcycle until I took a class and went home crying.... sometimes things look easier from afar! [​IMG]

Good luck!

6. Robdoc

Robdoc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2008
    Scandia
    It's hard to wait for honeybees, isn't it? My three packages are arriving April 11. I'm pretty much ready. Also have two hives that overwintered and I need to watch closely to see when to divide. Never done a divide. Good luck with your bees!

7. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Taking a beekeeping class tomorrow! Can't wait to get the bees....sooooo excited! Have been going over everything and soo far sooo good. I have everything I need.
    [​IMG]

8. Sherielu

Sherielu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2008
    Yellville, AR
    Exciting! The class I'm taking is not for another month, all the others were filled. Please let us know how it goes, I wish mine was tomorrow! [​IMG]

9. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    I'll be anxious to follow your adventures. I'm thinking about getting into bees as well, but don't think I'll be able to pull it off this year. Just don't think I can be ready before the hot weather hits and then it's too late to get them shipped, I think.

Going to my first bee club meeting, I hope, this Tuesday in Waco. Such a huge learning curve, want to know as much about them as I can before I actually plunge in.

Connie

10. outbackfarm

outbackfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    My husband and I went yesterday to our local feed store and were quite surprised by the changes they have made there. They are all cleaned up and have a new manager. Also a guy who is a bee keeper. They have everything in the store that anyone would need to start bee keeping! It's so nice to know where I can go to get started in bees. I bought a book on beginning bee keeping and will do lots of research. I also bought a quart of the prettiest honey and it's from right across the road on Pigeon Mt. How local is that? I take a few spoonsfull for my allergies every day.

So I hope to be getting a hive and getting started in the near future.

Good luck with yours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by