Bees in the chicken coop (video)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Christie Rhae, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii

Check out the video I posted on youtube of all the bees swarming my chicken feed and special bee bait I set out for them.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    the video does not work for me.

what kind of bee bait did you use?

3. Christie Rhae

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    I did the link wrong at first. Should work now?
    I used the mix someone recommended on this board. Soy flour, yeast, powdered milk.

4. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Wow. Are those wasps, hornets, honey bees, or just any kind of bee coming along?

5. Christie Rhae

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    They look like honey bees to me. They are collecting the powder into little bundles on their legs. No one has been stung but I am worried that with so many bees and my small kids there might be a "misunderstanding" one of these days.

6. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    YOU HAVE HONEY BEES???
    I haven't seen a honey bee around my place for 3 years now. I have a co-worker who TRIES raising them commercially. He's lost all but a few of his. 5 years ago he would harvest approx. 500 gallons of honey a year. Now he's lucky to get 10.

7. Christie Rhae

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    We have a lot of honey bee hives in Hawaii but that bee
    mite that is so bad for them has shown up in Hawaii much to the bee keepers dismay.

8. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    you have live healthy honey bees and you are trying to kill them? honestly I would do my hardest to track down the hive and get a good beekeeper to come harvest them. with the bee mite issues and pesticide issues I wouldnÂ’t be surprised if most bees were extinct in a few years.

9. Christie Rhae

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Oh my god no, I am not trying to kill them. Apparently I am fattening them up. I have tried called several beekeepers and no one seems to want to come and re-home this hive. The only people that will come out are the ones that want to eradicate the bees. We absolutely don't want to hurt the bees. But it was crazy with the swarming bees today. I cannot even get close to the area where I set up the bee food right now. At dusk I am going to set up my bee feeding station a lot further away from the chicken coop. They went through two cups of this food mixture I made up for them already. It was a totally feeding frenzy.
    I just hope that this hive will get healthy and able to find food on it's own soon. Maybe something yummy will bloom. Not sure if I can keep feeding these bees gourmet ingredients from the health food store.

10. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Did that stuff kill them ? the last part of the vid were it says" 30 minutes later" they look dead.

If it killed them i wonder if it would kill flies also [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by