1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bees in the coop

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by missnu01, Jan 29, 2013.

1. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    It was warm today, and when I went to put the chickens up I noticed that were 10 or 12 honeybees in the window trying to get out it looked like. When we first turned the coop into a coop there were a whole lot of paper wasp nests to clear out, and we did...But these weren't honey bee nests, but now it looks like the coop is filling with honey bees...So should I worry about that? Will the chickens eat the bees? Should I spray something, or put some traps in the window? I don't see or hear the bees anywhere else, but they very well might be living in the wood in the window. I noticed that the wood was pretty rotted out and what not around the window, it was really hard to put the chicken wire on it because of that...so really the wire is around the whole wall with the window in it...Lol. So the bees aren't like with the chickens, they are in front of the chicken wire, up against the window panes...I guess I'll just see how it all plays out. I don't want to kill the honey bees, but I also don't want to see them bore out all the wood in the coop. I am assuming that the chickens will just eat any that come through the screen and I guess if we get a whole bunch up there, or I find the actual hive then we can call a keeper, or buy a bee keeping kit, one of 2.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Its highly likely the bees were after your chicken feed and then couldn't find their way out of the coop after they got in. It was warm here today too, and I noticed as well that the honey bees around my house were very active. Actively looking for flowers that haven't even thought about blooming yet. I like the honey bees, they're a very beneficial insect, and I took pity on them. I took a little scoop of feed out and piled it on the ground well away from the chicken coop. I wasn't even sure they'd find it, but when I went back and checked a couple of hours later they were all over it. If you're having another warm day tomorrow (like I'm supposed to have) that might be an option for you as well :)
    Good luck!
    Nikki

3. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I didn't see any in the coop earlier in the day. It was just once I went up to close the coop they were all swarmed around the open window. We also got a few in the house, and we saw quite a few outside. They might have been there for the food. I hadn't really thought about bees trying to eat the chicken food.

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I see bees in the goose feed all the time. It's normal. : )

~ Aspen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by