1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bees swarming chicken water

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ericaoruiz, Jun 1, 2016.

1. ericaoruiz

ericaoruiz New Egg

Jun 1, 2016
    I'm new here so, hello to everyone:)
    I need some advice about bees around my chickens water. I have a bucket waterer for my chickens and I bring it out of the coop with the hens while they free range during most of the day. The last couple of very hot days have brought bees swarming to the chickens water! I love bees and they were drowning in the water, so I put out a bowl(same color green as the chicken water) with water and sticks for perches for the bees. They barely go near the bowl and still swarm the hens water.
    I guess my questions are:
    Why would the bees be so persistent about getting their water from the hens bucket?
    And will these bees bother my hens? I haven't seen them go up to their water as often when the bees are there. Do the bees stings hurt the hens? I've already gotten stung and it sucks!

Thank you for any help:)

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Are these honey bees,?

If they are get a rubber pan water dish rubber is a great surface for them to land on..set it some where eles ..garden or somewhere you can refill. . Put a board inside so it will float..
    If you keep it full the bees will find it...
    Next only water your chickens just enough to let dish go dry after there done. . Bees wont bug a dry dish..Eventually the bees will figure it out. . And perfer the new location. ..good luck

2 people like this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
  4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. You could consider using drinking nipples. Making a system can be as simple as drilling holes in a bucket and slotting the nipples in.

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    CTKen has offered up a very good solution. It does take some time though to teach the chickens to use the nipples. It also will keep the water clean

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by