Bees Swarming the chick feed???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pjknust, Aug 5, 2011.

1. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    Why all of a sudden the past week are the bees hovering over my chick feeder and wont go away. The chicks wont eat them either.
    Whats in that dry chick feed that the bees are after??? Just this past week...........

pam in TX

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    It's been so hot, especially in your neck of the woods, the bees are probably desperate for a food source. The honey flow is going on right now so they are probably in a panic to get honey stored for the winter.

You could try putting out some sugar water for the bees in a separate area to distract them from the chicken feed.

Recipe:
    2 ½ quarts water
    5 lbs. white granulated sugar

Bring water to a rolling boil then remove from the heat. Add sugar, mixing thoroughly. Do not allow this to remain on the heat as you will caramelize the sugar which will cause your bees to become ill.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    They're after a pollen substitute. They need more than simply nectar they need flower pollen as well. Right at the moment there may not be enough forage (pollen) for them so they are looking for whatever they can get. The soybean meal in the chick starter makes an acceptable substitute.

4. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    We switched from mash to pellets and the problem was solved....

5. Cock-L-Doodle Garoo

Cock-L-Doodle Garoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Texas Hill Country
    I'm having a bunch of bees at my wild bird feeders which have really driven allot of the birds away. Even the white-wing doves haven't been around much since. I think they are going for the sorghum in the all the milo that's in the feed. I've never seen them like that so I'm going to try the sugar water thing.

[​IMG]

6. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    I made the sugar water, hope it works,
    I plan to switch to pellets when they start layer feed.

thanks!!

pam in TX

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:yeeeeeeeeeesh! If I walked outside to see/hear that, my fanny would be inside and I'd be [​IMG] through the window!

I agree with the others, give the bees something else to swarm. As much has they creep me out, we need as many honeybees as we can get nowadays, so I vote no trapping or flypapering them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by