Bees?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NewChcikenmommy!, Oct 14, 2011.

1. NewChcikenmommy!

NewChcikenmommy! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Kingsland,Georgia
    Will they eat them?
    My dog just got stung pretty bad on his back toe from what appear to be yellow jackets crawling around in the grass.
    I dont want to spray for fear it will harm my hens or dog. I also have a toddler I don't want to get stung.

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yellowjackets can turn into a nasty problem. They build underground burrows that can grow to be pretty large over the years. Your dog probably stepped on one of the entrances.

If I were you, I'd call a pest control company and have them come out to take care of them. Pen up your chickens for as long as they recommend, or block off that area of the yard for a week or two.

3. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    yellow jackets are VERY nasty. They get angry and attack, dozens at once! A pretty effective method of killing them is to watch them during the day to locate their entrance tunnel (or tunnels) and wait until dark. Then when they are all cozy in their nest, dump gas down the holes.

4. NewChcikenmommy!

NewChcikenmommy! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Kingsland,Georgia
    thank you! I'll try that then.

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I would not use gas as that will contaminate your soil. I would suggest pouring liquid Sevin into the entrance at night. Sevin (which is also used as a powder for controlling mites on chickens) is highly toxic to all bees. Please use with caution.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Yellow jacket nests get to be a problem this time of year--the number of these wasps (they aren't BEES) increase over the summer to the point where they are more aggressive this time of year. The best way to handle them once the entry/exit hole is found is to go out at night, have someone hold a flashlight while you douse the entrance with a wasp/hornet spray--use one of those long-range bomb type. This not only kills them but prevents their flying and is residual so gets the whole nest, although it may take a couple of doses. The alternative is to get skunks, they will dig up the nests to get at the grubs--makes a heck of a hole in the lawn though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by