Beet Pulp Shreds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NellaBean, Jul 20, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I have about 49lbs of a 50lb bag of beet pulp left over. Can I feed it to the chickens? Soaked of course.

2. le neige homme

le neige homme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    I toss some whole beets (straight out of the ground) to my chickens once or twice a week. Nobody's died from it, but one of my White Leghorns did get pooped on by somebody with beet-stained poop.

3. SeaHen

SeaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    I left some beet pulp and alfalfa pellets soaking in a tub for the horses day before yesterday, and when I came back out to feed it to them an hour later the chickens were just finishing it off. So, I would say yes, you can feed it to them.

4. lazyoranch

lazyoranch Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Pleasant Hill
    Do you have to soak it first or can you feed it to them dry? Our goats used to eat it dry. They wouldn't touch anything wet.

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Why on earth, did you have 50 pounds of beet pulp? WHHHYYY!?

6. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    LOL, I have a horse who used to be fed beet pulp. Now she is fat and sassy and doesn't need any....

I haven't tried giving it to the chickens yet. I assume in moderation it is probably fine.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  7. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I made a sloppy soup of oatmeal, cat food, alfalfa pellets, beet pulp shreds and some sweet feed..........added lots of water, but actually a bit too much. It was a sloppy soup. Chickens ignored it last night but were chomping away at the leftovers this morning. Next batch with have less water but also some starter, scratch and BOSS added in to soak up any leftover water. Makes a nice crop filler [​IMG]

8. kateseidel

kateseidel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    My hens are spoiled and run to me for treats. They've had soaked beet pulp and senior equine feed when they show up while I am preparing the horse feed - and gobble them both up! Haven't tried the beet pulp dry...

9. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Mine ate it and did not all keel over, so I am giving it a thumbs up. Planning on making it a "few times a week" treat.

10. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    I to would like to know why all the beet pulp? Is this for canning, cooking? I love beets but can't think how you come to have beet pulp. Always wanting to learn.[​IMG]:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by