Before Adding MORE Eggs to Incubator..??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 1234duck, Jan 15, 2011.

1. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

I am thinking about adding more duck eggs to the incubator tomorrow after I add the New Egg Turner. Is there any thing that needs to be done before installing New egg turner? *Do I just remove the eggs, then install turner, then set eggs? **Also does the eggs, which are outside in the nest need to sit inside the house to get room temp first, or anything before I put them in the incubator with the other eggs? ~(eggs in incubator have been there 4 days so far). ~ Thanks, Julie

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    You should bring the eggs inside for a while before putting them in to the bator- Putting cold eggs into the incubator will mean it will take a longer time to go back to the desired temp after opening..especially if you have it open awhile when putting in the turner.

What kind of turner are you putting in? Duck eggs do better when they are left on their sides.

3. 1234duck

Its "Little Giant" Incubator with Circulated Air. Then purchased "Little Giant" Automatic Egg Turner. Got it home & realized that it says, NOT for Duck Eggs. grrrrrr... The man @ store said it was for Duck Eggs. Now we have to return it. ~* Duck Eggs are better without the Turner?? 0k, and mean while I'll bring the Eggs in from outside. Thank you, Julie

4. Farmergreen

Farmergreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    So you shouldn't turn duck eggs??

5. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    Duck eggs need to be turned. The issue would be the size of your turner. Duck eggs are larger and don't always fit the chicken turners.
    Happy hatching.

6. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    What if your duck eggs are smaller? Wouldn't they be just fine in the turner?

7. 1234duck

Yes, I realize it is a "must" on turning the eggs: 3,4 & 5 X's a day.<<<{Very Important} I've noticed that these duck eggs really aren't any larger than a large chicken egg. ~There is 1 or 2 eggs that look a bit larger. THE MAIN thing is that you don't want the eggs to touch the top where the heating thingy is? Right? Plus I wouldn't want to break the Turner. *Do duck eggs weigh a lot more than chicken eggs?

8. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    I still use 1 of these same set ups with the turner for chickens that said dont use for ducks, Bottom line is as long as the eggs are not so big as to touch the heating element they're fine.No I havent tore any up because they weigh about the same Just use common sense. Duckyfromoz is right by saying duck eggs hatch better on their sides if you can be there to turn them by hand. I cant always do that so I use the auto turner and hand turn them also as much as I can. This best of both worlds works great for me. But if I could keep broody chickens, I'd only use the incubator's for the last week. I also mist the eggs with warm water a couple times a day. Hope this helps.

9. Farmergreen

Farmergreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Don't mist chicken eggs! And I don't know about duck eggs either never heard of anyone doing this.

I incubate maybe 1000 Chicken eggs a year. I've always let my ducks and guineas do there own.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  10. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Now you have. [​IMG] .Several people on here do it also. Im trying to help 1234duck. Did you read what the person ask for Farmergreen ?,BTW [​IMG] Farmergreen. Yes... don't mist chicken eggs. Also you don't HAVE to mist duck eggs but I have found that it helps.... alot.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by