Before & After pics up the updated coop :) Photo HEAVY

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KristelClucks, Dec 4, 2010.

1. KristelClucks

KristelClucks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2010
    Collingswood, NJ
    We fixed up the coop today at my boss' property. I'll try my best to explain each picture for ya.

Here is what it looked like when I first saw it 3 weeks ago and decided to "adopt" the chickens and pheasants so I could fix up their living situation...
    [​IMG]
    There was a good 6" or so of poops/old food/etc that I had to shovel out. I also had to chip away the poo that was on the big house.
    [​IMG]

This was mid way thru my clean up. About a week ago. Moved things around. I've since took the rubber made house thing out cause it was gross and not much for protection form the elements.
    [​IMG]
    There was so much debris that had started coming out of the coop that I didn't even know there was a brick path! Crazy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the coop as of today!!! We are so proud. And the feathered friends inside LOVE the changes. Took to the DIY nest box shelf thing instantly. I swear, the second they saw the straw being layed - that was it, they moved right in.
    [​IMG]

We reused pieces from an old desk unit (looked like a bookcase) to make the nesting area. Worked out very well. As you can see they both went right insaide (the black one is in the back on the right, barely visible.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We found these very well made awesome pallets and used them to raise up the big house (pheasant's house) and have their food/water bowls up there as well. The whole floor of the coop is covered with pine shavings which the chickens are enjoying scratching in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

some more random pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My female pheasant took to the top nest area super quick. couple scratches here and there and will be settling in nicely. You can see the rounded nest area she did already too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know you can't tell from this pic, but from all the excitement going on, our black one ended up actually falling asleep standing up. It was too funny. I tried to get video of the head bobbing but you couldn't really tell what was going on. It was still funny tho, anyone else catch their chickens sleeping standing up?
    [​IMG]

thanks for looking! We are very happy with the upgrades and feel they will be much happier this winter. I'm sure there will be changes later on, prolly in spring. We are going to add a piece of wood to the top and bottom of the opening of the big house to help with drafts, but for now the straw will have to do.

2. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    What an improvement you made. I know that was a lot of work, and it really shows. The chickens and pheasants seem to appreciate your efforts, too.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Well done, a huge step into a coop deluxe!

4. tammymacieamy

tammymacieamy New Egg

Dec 5, 2010
    Good Job I'm sure they're much more comfortable.

5. Pastor Mike

Pastor Mike Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    Redmond Oregon
    Very beautiful birds indeed! Nice revamp as well.

6. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Wow, what a great improvement. Not a hell-hole anymore! [​IMG]

Two thumbs up!

7. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    You deserve a huge pat on the back for all of your hard work. Good job! Looks so much nicer and more comfortable for the birds.
    Will you be caring for them from now on? Who was caring for them before?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by