1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Before eggs hatch, what is the best time to prepare the brooder?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Meloout831, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Meloout831

Meloout831 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    How many days in advance should one prepare the brooder?

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I would say have everything ready to set up a week befor
    and actually set it up say day 19 or 20 .

3. Meloout831

Meloout831 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    So get a good temperature going? I was thinking of doing a Tractor Supply setup (1 big bucket with pine shedding and a brooder light). Anyone done it that way?

4. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I use a giant rubber made container and paper towls for newborns and then straw when there about a week old. Pine and ceder have chemical oils in them that can damage the respatory tracts and get into the blood of animals , its a no no in any rodents or birds but alot of people use pine and there chicks seem to do fine , I woudnt try it if it was me thats like saying hey gorge burns lived to be 100 and he smoked cigars every day of his life [​IMG]
    aspen shaveings are ok , straw is ok if it dosnt get to wet and stay wet or it can mold, I would guess that you could use paper pellets like yesterdays news but I havent heard of anyone actually useing them. YOu can go to the chick section they have a link at the top that has tons and tons and tons of photos of peoples brooders

Oh and a red heat lamp is better then a clear one.

THey should have room to get closer to the light and also room so they can get as far as they need to from it. It should not be easly combustble [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  5. beepbeepinajeep

beepbeepinajeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    Could you put paper towels on top of straw? I set up the brooder for the new chick that hatched out today, but set it up with straw.

6. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    you can keep them on straw as new borns I just dont becuase they tend to try to eat everything and stuff right after there born , same reason for haveing marbles in there water the first week cause they try to drown them selves.
    Paper towls can go over the starw

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I probably spend to much but keep them on paper towels for at least 4 weeks.

8. beepbeepinajeep

beepbeepinajeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    I have one of those very shallow waterers that has a mason jar on top... would that work ok? I think that is what they have at our feed store... it is what they suggested.

9. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    those are ok but I think they still recomend that you put marbles in for the frist few days as some chicks try to reconect with the moistness of the egg or something.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by