1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Before I click "Confirm"

Discussion in 'Geese' started by hippiehen, Apr 12, 2011.

1. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    Oh Em Gee my husband is going to kill me.

I'm currently on the checkout page at Metzer with 2 pair of buff geese on the line...... I've been wanting geese forever but I just can't convince myself to click confirm!

Our yard is 2 acres fenced with a little pond and maybe a bigger one soon if I get the time and energy to go dig it. I was thinking I would keep them in the yard (when they are grown, of course) with my 2 dogs, would they still need a coop? The only thing that could get them would be an owl but I can't imagine one packing off a full grown goose.

Would they destroy my grass I'm just getting to grow? I have some 100 gal nursery tubs I raise veggies in, would I kiss those goodbye too? I've got chickens and ducks with turkeys on the way - none of them are allowed in my yard, but I really want some yard geese! We entertain often and it's always outside BBQing - would the geese be horrible pests? (Aside from crapping on my patio [​IMG])

Basically I'm coming up with every argument my husband could make so I can counter against it! [​IMG]

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    dont do it.....if you think its a bad idea, clear the cart and go on. imo

3. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    I think it's a phenomenal idea! And truly, my husband is very much used to my antics by now. [​IMG] I guess it's just these few nagging questions lingering in my mind that I'd like some advice on!

4. Duckles

Duckles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    I have my finger hovering over the confirm button for buff geese on metzers too! My old man rolled his eyes then moved on, because secretly he'd like a goose pal. His parents have 3 geese and they don't take up all that much room, they roam around (and hiss at the goats) and don't ever bother people... I think my major area of concern is that its like $60 for two goslings, but I don't want to get more than that. Now I'm wanting to get them even more! dooo itttttt

5. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    Start off telling him you'd like to raise a couple ostriches.

Then compromise by settling for geese.
    [​IMG]

I can't say much info about them interacting with your dogs, grass, or veggies. I can't imagine four geese could destroy two acres of grass! Mine are only a month old now, I have three buffs from Metzer's (I ordered two pair also, but lost one in shipping, and am left with a gander and two geese.) Our dog yard is separate from the outside animals, I have goats and ducks and horse as well, and any gardening I plan will occur outside all the animals' enclosure. You can certainly subdivide your space, you know? Geese aren't too hard to contain. I'd recommend a secure pen for overnight, that no predatory creatures can climb or dig into. They'll need some sort of wind and rain proof shelter. Not sure how ambitious owls might be - but a raccoon can climb a fence as easily as an owl can fly over it.

what sort of dogs have you got? have they been around other birds?

[​IMG]

Here's Murphy trying to talk you out of geese. [​IMG]

6. jblee

jblee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2010
    Arizona
    How big are they at a month old?? As big as a adult chicken?

7. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    let's see if my photo can post.. here are mine as of yesterday

[​IMG]

8. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

Just be aware....GEESE.CRAP.EVERYWHERE!!!! That being said...we loved ours. [​IMG] (and have more in the incubator).

9. eggbuster

eggbuster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    They will chew on everything. They pick at any little knob till it comes off; plastic, metal, buttons, tires, buckets........ They will eat your rhubarb down to the ground. Raspberries, strawberries, veggies, yum, yum, yum and then find something else to chew on. Think puppies that never grow up and they are vegetarian so kiss those container gardens good-bye unless you either fence the geese or fence the pots.

Their first year they will follow you around and poop all over your porch and chew the paint off the door while they wait for you to come out. They will yak continuously. They will look through your windows and yak at you. Think lots of noise. The second year, they get more independent and that part gets better, but then, if there is a gander he may start guarding, and decide he will chew on you; not that it is difficult to handle, but a goose hanging off your pants all the time looses its charm if you can't deal with him. Small children will not do will around grown geese. Not all will be a problem but you don't know till you get them; geese that is. But then again, the same applies to children and we still have them.

Don't count on them to love your pond. They will probably love a mud puddle more so don't go out of your way to build a bigger pond until they at least notice the smaller one. Could be a year or two.

Now if your good with all that, go ahead, but if you are not and you don't want goose for dinner in 2 years, wait and think a few more days before pushing that button.
    You asked good questions. Don't push the button for the wrong reasons.

10. Lamar Estate

Lamar Estate Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Geese are supposed to be great at "protecting" chickens and ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by