Before I cut the opening for the duck house....HOW BIG?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kwack, Apr 9, 2009.

1. kwack

kwack Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Delaware County
    We are going to be cutting the door soon and before we do we want to be sure.... we were planning 18" x 18". Is that too tall? Too wide too narrow? We were going for a little wider because we will close them in at night and didn't want a crazy smashing dash for the door in the morning.

We will have 6 to 8 ducks. Pekins, Cayugas and Welsh Harlequins.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  2. jrleader99

jrleader99 Chillin' With My Peeps

It probably depends on the type of duck that you have.

I am just starting out too and had this same question. I have 8 Indian Runners ducklings (about 2-3 weeks old) and I think that I made my opening fairly small but as of right now can open it up if needed.

3. cherub78

cherub78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    My ducks (Pekin, Swede, Rouen, and Pekin-Runner) use the same door as the chickens and the Pekin and Swede are pretty big ducks.
    I think I had made the opening something like 15"x15". They haven't had any problem getting in or out, but they do bend down a little to come and go.
    I might go a little taller on the next door- maybe 18".
    Hope this helps.

4. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    for my runners, my door is about 16 in high and about 12in wide. They use it just fine, but this is a door to their nest box. (My ducks live inside)

5. kwack

kwack Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Delaware County
    Thanks for your input. Gotta get a move on. They ducks are 8 days and already twice their hatch size - YIKES![​IMG]

6. rfisherj

rfisherj Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2007
    Lee
    18 x 18 is what mine is. I can crawl though it if there is a issue when the gate or door freezes. Also works for geese and chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by