Before I pinch his little head off is this normal

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bambi, Jul 13, 2010.

1. bambi

bambi Songster

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    1 RIR cockrel 17 wks old has become a bully. He has started attacking the ladies grabbing then by the neck or comb also he tries to attack me every morning, but quickly put a stop to this by having my border collie (their herder)go with me to let them out,and she intervene (wish him well the day he tries to attack her because the cat is still getting fur back on hs neck and back after BC intervene between cat and chicks when they where babies). So is it time to say good-bye to Louie or will he settle down? The ladies try to stay clear of him but he sneeks up on them while they are eating and attacks. Is this his way of having his way with the ladies? Thanks for any experience that any of you have had or suggestions. Forgot to mention he attacked Dh and brought blood, dog was not with him at the time. Just think 2 weeks ago I couldn't wait to hear him crow [​IMG]

2. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    I wouldn't expect him to "straighten up" if I were you [​IMG]

3. Ya Know, I have never had a RIR Rooster that was a gentleman. They, the ones that I have had, just seem to be rappist, bullies and they do not make friends, they take hostages.

I have never figured this one out. Other roos of breeds that one would think would be the worst turn out to be nice, gentle birds.

4. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Songster

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I believe they do this as they mature and come into their own. He has a lot of ladies? Maybe he is trying to breed them ?

I first thought my roo was attacking my girls as they go past him he tries to snag them up some times by accident by the way the girls are moving he misses and grabs the neck or comb. He seems fairly young but if he is attacking humans that is a big NO NO.......never back up cause they will see this as a sign of weakness.

So far I haven't had to deal with any rough roosters....good luck

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Sounds like your rooster has reached mating age. They do grab the ladies by the back of the neck or comb sometimes. The mating part is real quick. The rooster stands on her back and they touch vents. That's it. Done in a quick second.

To me, a rooster is worth keeping if he protects the ladies and he's not hurting them. Sometimes they do really injure the hens while trying to mate. They can tear the feathers off their backs and cut them with their spurs.

BUT, if they attack the family--especially little ones--they need to be made into a nice soup.....

6. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    pinch pinch pinch ...

I can't STAND that .. I grabbed the last little rooster up that mistreated my girls .. and he was headless 2 minutes later ..

I love my Shiner .. he's such a gentlman.

7. bambi

bambi Songster

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    He, has 5 ladies that are 17 wks old. Given him notice he has a short period of time or he goes. What breed makes a gentlemen Roo? I do worry that Roxy(dog) will attack him if he tries and goes after me again or if he tries for Roxy. Roxy, gives him a very intense stare down and she keeps between me and Louie but if Roxy attacks Louie I'm afraid then Roxy will think this taste just like chicken my master gives me and then she will start after the other chickens.This is what I have read on post in the past. Once a dog kills a chicken they never stop. Do you think this is true? More I'm typing Louie's notice is shortening. Help

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

It's VERY normal - weeks are like years to chickens. He's 17 weeks old = 17 years for a boy. All he's got in his head is sex, sex, sex. Grab the girls! He hasn't developed any finesse yet.

He will probably mellow out as time passes and if you give him the chance, but for the interim, he might be dangerous to young children. And, of course, to himself if he goes after your dog....

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  9. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Songster

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    In my experience with dogs , you have to be prepared for the unexpected. No two dogs will ever act the same so you never know exactly what they will be capable of.

I just think the rooster is too young and is getting too excited ......

My rooster is a gentleman to my girls but at the same time he was young and he is learning how to get them without feathers flying every where.
    If he is so rough that he is causing them to bleed or lose to many feathers try putting him in a pen like for a time out give him a few days then see how he is then if you need to keep locking him up until he matures. Or just Pinch his head off..........

10. bambi

bambi Songster

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    Thanks for the input. My child has grown up and now I am stuck in the middle of my life with the name Bambi oh well guess my Mother didn't think I would grow up now waiting unil I am in a nursing home and hearing Bambi, time to take your bath:lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by