Before i saw red veins and a tiny dot now I cant see anything (quail)..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Leadnation, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Leadnation

Leadnation Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2013
    Hey guys I have ben incubating coturnix quail eggs at day 4 and 5 I could see some red veins and a little dot in the middle but now at day 7 1/2 They have turned darker and cant see in them very well with my flashlight anyone has an idea of why?
    And also does jumbo brown coturnix quails take 18 day to hatch or 17?

2. Leadnation

Jan 9, 2013
    I think I may have OCD now that I'm hatching eggs i feel anxiety when I'm outside and can't check temperature and humidity.

3. Tammy N

Tammy N Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Florence Oregon
    Hi mine Jumbo Coutnix took 17/18 you start counting the day after so i just counted 17 days .
    mine are so dark after day 10 o was sure they would be ok some still light where doa . But its fun Happy hatching where did you get your eggs ?
    i got 120 off ebay and 110 hatched i thought she only sent 100 i never counted but holy cow . more then i hoped for hatched now to keep them going.

i am feeding ground up turkey/pheasant layer for my chicks i used my coffee grinder it is 30% .

any who Good luck keep me posted this is fun im also new to Quail.

I want more for Genetic diversity and pick the biggest for the breeders .

4. Leadnation

Jan 9, 2013
    Hey Tammy I got my eggs on ebay purchased 25 but they sent me 32 one was cracked but the rest are incubating right now. Im just having a little of a humidity problem since the ambient humidity here in FL has been from 75 to 91 the other day. I almost have no water in the incubator and still reads 65% so I hope everything goes fine.

5. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    I hatch cots from my small flock all the time. After about day 7-10 all you will be able to see is whether light shines thru or not. No light means a growing baby. You should be able to see the air cell gradually getting bigger & the rest of the egg steadily gets darker. Here are some of the babies hatched so far this year. The bigger ones hatched 7-8 days before the little ones. You can see how fast they grow.

[​IMG]

6. Tammy N

Oct 9, 2011
    Florence Oregon
    Whats the best Flooring for the brooder ?
    and what should the temp on the brooder be ?

7. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    I use shredded paper, but that's just because it's cheaper than pine shavings & I have it on hand already. You can use shavings, shredded paper, rubber shelf liner, hay, or straw. Just remember, whatever you use, these babies start out TINY so don't make your bedding super thick or they will get lost or buried in it. Some people use marbles or rocks in their waterer to keep the babies from drowning. I still had babies falling in when I did that. I stuff my waterers full of tissues or toilet paper. The babies can walk right across the top & not fall in. Just fill it to where the water barely seeps above the paper. Yes, they will eat the paper, it won't hurt them. Just keep the water full & they tend to ignore the paper better. Some people grind up the crumbles for the 1st week. I don't & mine do fine. I have never lost 1 to a feed issue, only drowning & 3 this last hatch who had leg problems from getting shrink wrapped.

8. Tammy N

Oct 9, 2011
    Florence Oregon
    Try dry sponge . worked for me in winter

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by