Before my brain explodes, can somebody please help me identify these pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kcstepp92, Nov 12, 2016.

1. kcstepp92

kcstepp92 New Egg

Nov 12, 2016
    Ok, I'm a complete novice here as you can tell by my I intro in the new member section. To kind of rehash, I had picked up 5 red sex links and 7 leghorns in tractor supply one day before I even knew what those breeds were. That week I did some reading on the breeds and learned I had lucked into some egg laying machines. By the end of the week I was so excited about my fortune and the fact that chicks had gone on sale for 99 cents a piece, I ended up with 12 more chicks: 1 was a leghorn rooster, 5 Cornish rock crosses, and 6 more red sex links. Now I'm not so sure the rsls are actually what they are... I went back into the store thinking automatically these were the same batch of rsls I had gotten earlier in the week. First mistake. These girls looked the same at first...and then feathered out a light gold color with a random black tail feather tucked in back and some really light black spots around their necks. I went EVERYWHERE both online and in the library looking for any breed this could be. At first I thought maybe they were just some wacky rsl combo...then I thought buff Orpington. I have gone back and forth so much my brain feels squeezed and the hubby (who is relying on me to be the resident chicken expert) is questioning my chicken identification abilities. Could someone please help me? It's not that I won't love these beautiful chicks the same it's just that their lack of ID is driving me up the wall. Thank you in advance for any help solving this mystery.[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

How old are they?

They're not sex links.....not buff Orps. My next thought, from the apparent size of the birds, is a slow meat bird like a Pioneer or Dixie Rainbow. That could explain the random black markings also. They're not quite right for New Hampshires, either......

1 person likes this.
  3. kcstepp92

kcstepp92 New Egg

Nov 12, 2016
    Rachel they are approximately 6 weekish old. Of the six, they are all various shades of light gold. None have markings like my red sex links where there is overtly white on wing tips or tail or what have you. These light gold ones are almost all uniform except for some have a solitary black tail feather you wouldn't even notice unless you were looking for it and some of a little spackling of black spots around their neck. I'm so lost lol.

4. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, the two basic contenders are New Hampshires and Rainbows/Pioneers.

New Hamps should have more Colombian type markings, more black in the neck and tail area. And the base color isn't quite right, they're too gold.

Rainbows can look like a lot of different things, and they'll be heavier bodied birds. That's my guess for now.

5. kcstepp92

kcstepp92 New Egg

Nov 12, 2016
    After reading your post and doing more research, I'm now thinking you are correct! These do look like some variation of a Rainbow chicken. The markings are just about the same and in the same places, just alot lighter. Of course they are still growing in their feathers so only time will tell. So far the rainbow chickens seem to match what I'm seeing the best and I thank you soooo much for pointing me in the right direction. I can now take this vice off my head lol. Thanks again!

6. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You're welcome! Glad you found us.....welcome to the Dark Side [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with donrae Rainbows

1 person likes this.
  8. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Don't know what they are, but I do know my New Hampshire's looked nothing like these two birds.

1 person likes this.
  9. kcstepp92

kcstepp92 New Egg

Nov 12, 2016
    You guys rock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by