Before or After

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mahonri, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Did you find BYC before or after you got chickens?

I ordered mine in February. Got them the end of April and found BYC in May.

What possessed you to put chickens in your backyard? (I get asked that a lot)

I had always wanted to do it. So I did. (grew up on a farm w/ chickens)

2. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL

Before. I still haven't got any.

What possessed you to put chickens in your backyard?

I really love chickens.

3. RoxyOtis

RoxyOtis Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Modesto, CA

~~~I found BYC after I got chickens, I bought a couple new ones and wanted to get an opinion on what breed they were![​IMG]

~~~ I found a very large Roo in my front yard and started to feed it scratch and he took a liking to me, I was hooked after that day![​IMG]

[​IMG]I love BYC!!!!![​IMG]

4. cat

cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008

I found BYC after I got my first two chickens, I wanted to build a better coop and saw the website on a google search

I had always wanted chickens but it was not untill we moved house to a place with a really big garden that it was possible. I was really sick at the time and I think my husband saw them as a last resort to pick me up... we now have 8 chickens and I have to stop my husband getting more!

5. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Did you find BYC before or after you got your chickens?

Same day! See my screen name! I wasn't exactly expecting them!

Wasn't me..... the question for me is why didn't you pitch the chickens esp after two of the first three died?? Because then I would have had to quit BYC!!

6. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.

Before. I had the McMurray catalog and went looking online for ideas on breeds and any other info I needed before placing my order.

My parents had chickens when I was a teenager, so I figured it was something I could handle doing. The thought of having fresh eggs and food out there running around, should we need it, was a lot of the incentive. Plus I love chickens and had the room so it didn't take much convincing.

7. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    BYC....I found you after (more than 20 years after) I first had chickens.

What possessed me...........

I have always loved birds as simple as that. Always wanted some, but not until I married (I am a city bred girl) my country farmer was I able to have them...haven't looked back since. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  8. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL

before... my birds.. after the rooster... (would have been much easier to find one if I had came on here first, a lot less calling around LOL)

a friend of mine had them growing up liked them then We got a rooster first for a VBS and we thought he was so cool but wouldnt stay in the yard. So he has been roaming the neighborhood for 2 years.. so a year later we got ladies to get him back... hes only been around 2 times. oh well love the eggs.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  9. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Found BYC after getting chickens.

My son found a bird egg on the ground...we let him think it would hatch for about a week. After that point, we declared it "dead". That very day, it hatched! (miracle?!) We went to Tractor Supply in an attempt to come up with some sort of baby bird food concoction and ended up with a 25 pound bag of chick feed. The bird died at about 2 days. My son, who had been desperately wanting chickens said, "Why can't we get chickens?...we already have the food!" Who could argue with that? We actually used our first brood for 4H for 2 years. Now, my son could care less, and I'M hooked!!

10. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn

I've had chickens for more than 30 years, so in my case the chickens definitely came first.

They're not in my backyard. They are out behind the barn. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by