"Before the coop arrives"

redmike2018

Songster
5 Years
Sep 6, 2018
Greenville SC
I am scheduled to get my chicken coop late summer or early fall. In the mean time can or should I treat the grass/weeds where the coop is to be placed and the 'free range area' also.
Second question is: can I raise the chicks in the hen house, instead of in my basement? The coop is approximately 50' from the house. Will have electricity for heat lamps if needed. Any pros or cons

Cassandra, they will be day old chicks. I am late getting started. So first the coop then the chicks. I didn't see much different in raising them in the basement or in the coop.
There is a big difference!
Raise them in the coop where they will be exposed to natural circadian rhythms and lots of fresh air. Also, ditch the heat lamps. Invest in a brooder plate. MUCH safer, simulates natural heat source better and consumes less electricity.
I would also suggest you make a baby bottle and train the chicks to it on arrival. They keep the bedding dry and the water clean.
Ancona.jpg

BrooksHatlen, no existing flock, they will be day old chicks.
I see. The coop will be 50' from the house. In that case I'd keep them in the basement for the first few days maybe a week. Make sure they're eating, drinking and pooping. Then move them to the coop. Check for pasty butt for the first two weeks or so.

I say to keep them in at first for your convenience. I think you'll find that you'll want to check on them often. They are just so darn cute.

Back
Top Bottom