1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BEFORE the emergency: what should go in a chicken first aid kit?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheBantamPrevails, Nov 27, 2010.

1. TheBantamPrevails

TheBantamPrevails Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    I'd love to hear from experienced chicken keepers / amateur vets what kinds of things to keep on hand for emergencies? In the last couple days, I've read of dog attacks, coccidiosis, and other acute ailments. It's an hour to the nearest full-service feed store for me, and of course, they are open the usual business hours.

Next time around, I want to be prepared so I don't have to run around when I should be tending to my chicken.

What are your most frequently used/needed chicken care items? What should a backyard chicken keeper keep on hand?

Just to get the ball rolling with things that have come up on this board lately:

electrolyte powder
    blue kote
    duramyacin
    coccid
    neosporin
    hydrogen peroxide

And what tips would you pass along for using these things? For example, I know that hydrogen peroxide can burn, so I dilute it for my own use, or follow with water.

And I read on this board that ibuprofen is a no-no for chickens.

What else would you add or caution?

2. TheBantamPrevails

Nov 26, 2010
  3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

4. TheBantamPrevails

Nov 26, 2010
    Thanks Imp. That was a really good thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by