Before the incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by moeplants, May 16, 2011.

1. moeplants

moeplants Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    Iron Ridge
    How long can you keep an egg, after it is laid , before you putit in the incubator? I have Chickens...and Guineas!!! I am totally new to this, I had chickens growing up, but never tried to hatch them on my own [​IMG] I think this site is awesome!!

2. kimandrich

kimandrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    Welcome to Backyard Chicken!
    I love this site, too. It's amazing.

I'm pretty sure you can keep them 7 days, stored in a cool room with 60-70% humidity, but that's what I've been told. I'm new to this. I'm sure someone more experienced will reply as well!

Good luck!

3. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    I've searched high and low for the answer to this VERY question. That and can short term previously refrigerated eggs be hatched? I've had no luck so..i'm going to keep an eye on this thread!

4. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    [​IMG]
    I generally will go up to 10 days on my own eggs but never sell hatching eggs to customers that are over 7 days old when they pick them up.

Of course I've had eggs sit on my kitchen counter for two weeks without turning and decide to put them in the incubator and have them all hatch out fine. [​IMG]

You could try refrigerated eggs, folks have hatched them. You'll see people on the forum purchase fertile eggs at the health food store hatch a few chicks out of those and they were definitely in refrigerated conditions, too.

Hey, it's all a big experiment anyways, have fun with it. [​IMG]

Carolyn

5. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    They should be no older than 7 days or you hatch rate may go down.

6. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:Well had i know THAT LOL, I might have a chick by now!!! I was taking her eggs before I realized she was broody and I had 1 more in the fridge!!! I thought once you got them cold, they were no longer viable....ohhhhhman >selfkick<

7. moeplants

moeplants Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    Iron Ridge
    Thanks! That is very helpful...hmmm now how many chicks do I really need??? [​IMG]

8. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    just as a sidenote, the refrigerated eggs CAN sometimes hatch, but your chances go down. better to store them normally [​IMG]

9. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:LOL ok so what is "normal" storage for an egg? I had always been lead to believe it's refrigeration!

Sidenote: In my world, "Normal" is nothing but a dryer setting [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  10. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Fertile eggs for hatching should be stored at room temp. 60 degrees is best. So out of the sunlight. In an egg carton pointy side down. They also need to be turned each day while waiting to go in the incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by