Before you bite into that holiday ham...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Goose and Fig, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    There's probably been a link to this story before- I know I've seen similar.
    Activist link removed

This is just one of the reasons I haven't eaten pork in over 20 years, and have no intention to ever do so. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2010
  2. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    It's really easy to raise your own pork. All industrial farm animals are kept like that. Many states have large wild pig populations so you can hunt them as well.

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    The Humane Society is one step over from that other Animal group that is run by idiots. Their articles are always very slanted towards their agendas.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Ham and bacon are probably my favorite meats to eat.

Farrowing crates were developed to keep the sows from laying on and killing their piglets which they do pretty frequently. We had some hogs growing up and it didn't matter how big the pen was they were in, the sows always laid on and killed some of the piglets.

People who believe all the hogwash that certain groups put out online as being the way all animals are raised never cease to amaze me. If they tell you to drink the kool-aid are you going to follow them then too?

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Mmmmmmm....haaaammmmmm

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    and kool-aid! mmmmmm

7. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    We have considered raising our own several times. Its hard holding ourselves back from starting too many projects at the same time. I think pretty much most animals raised in such an industrial way are in horribly filthy, unhealthy conditions. I'm not going to watch the clip because I really do love eating my Christmas ham ( yes I am a hypocrite for saying one thing but still doing another but I can live with it temporarily). I think as more and more people see this then hopefully they start moving toward raising their own. Personally I was told the chicken flock and coops must be completed and established before he wants to build me a cow barn and redo fencing. Then after I get a milk cow some piggies are in the works.

Until all that happens though I am going to be eating farm fresh eggs with don't wanna know how it was raised bacon.

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Well, I don't eat pork because it's not kosher. But if I didn't follow a kosher diet, I would probably raise my own just like I do with the chickens for eggs.
    Kinda hard to do that if you live in the city though!

One of the comments on the article: I believe Ghandi said something like " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way they treat thier animals"

9. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    That looks pretty bad. I can understand keeping them crated during birth and until the piglets are weaned. If they keep them that way the whole time it is just wrong. Too bad animals have to be kept like that for the company to make a profit. same with chickens and everything else.

10. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

nevermind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by