1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BEGGINER IN MID MISSOURI

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by stephcraig78, Apr 18, 2016.

1. stephcraig78

stephcraig78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    Rolla/St. James, MO
    Hello my husband and I recently purchased a few chicks for our kids to enjoy raising and learning from like we did when we were young. Got 2 buff Orpington and 2 black sex link first. They are still staying inside (youngest daughter is playing "mother hen") but plan to build coop and move outdoors this week. Just added an Americana and a mystery chick. Plus a baby turkey and an adult quail. The quail is in a separate cage outside since she can fly already. We are very excited to share our flock with everyone here at backyard chickens. Anyone have any suggestions on a simple beginner coop? We are working on drawing up a plan. Thanks for any help or tips you all can give us about raising our flock.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC.
    The first tip I would offer on coop construction is build bigger than you think you need - build as large as you can. This a) gives your current birds plenty of room (no such thing, imo, as too much space for them) and b) allows for the chicken math you seem to have already begun to master as you have caught the bug.
    you may find some inspiration here https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops - even looking at coops that are smaller than you need for your flock you can find ideas that can be adapted to a larger scale.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already from OGM so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

4. stephcraig78

Apr 18, 2016
    Rolla/St. James, MO
    Thanks for the tips! We were looking at the coop where the hens go up a ramp to the nesting box area. And caging it all in with chicken wire. One thing I'm curious about is the quail. How do I tell if it's a hen and why if it's a hen, hasn't she layed

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    [​IMG] Good luck with your flock! Any plans for that turkey?

7. stephcraig78

Apr 18, 2016
    Rolla/St. James, MO
    We have decided he or she will just be a pet. Once we know if it's boy or girl we plan to get another of the opposite sex. We have already fell in love with it. Very friendly bird, loves to cuddle up to our necks and sleep. Could never raise it from baby and have our kids become attached to it then eat it for thanksgiving.
    Quick question- we can keep the turkey in same coop as the chickens right? As long as it isn't aggressive towards them? Should we feed it something different than the chick starter? What about as it gets older? Is there a way to tell toms from hens? Here's a pic of our little darling Turk Turk [IMG][QUOTE="mlm Mike, post: 16886439, member: 0"]:welcome     Good luck with your flock! Any plans for that turkey?
    [/QUOTE]
    [/IMG]

8. stephcraig78

Apr 18, 2016
    Rolla/St. James, MO
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH

10. stephcraig78

Apr 18, 2016
    Rolla/St. James, MO
    Thanks for the info!! Definitely don't want that happening. Hadn't even thought about that. Didn't know they would try crossing like that. So we have to wait till its older to tell if it's a tom? It's so funny to watch it walk around. Like its feet are too big. Kinda clumsy little thing. We absolutely love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by