1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Begging For Treats By Pulling and Pecking My Clothes.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WildCochinReba, May 16, 2016.

1. WildCochinReba

WildCochinReba Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    [​IMG] This little girl pecks and pulls my shirt, pants, and sometimes my skin for treats. Is there anyway I can stop this behavior? It doesn't hurt (unless she hits my skin) but I'm worried when she gets older it will hurt. It's cute now but not when she gets older and can do some serious pain.

2. salsss

salsss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2016
    Adirondacks, NY
    I've seen people tell others to gently "peck" back with a finger..maybe that would help? Good luck!

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'd just do as salsss suggested. I do have a few adults that still do that (mostly to me), and I honestly don't pay much attention to it. But a simple light "peck" with your finger and a "No" should teach your chick not to do that, if you don't like it.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That's right, what the others have said. "Pecking" on the back is the way higher ranking chickens discipline underlings in the flock. It conveys the message and will correct the bad behavior. It works with all ages of chickens, so don't hesitate to discipline a naughty chick if its behavior is unacceptable.

5. WildCochinReba

WildCochinReba Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    Thanks everyone for your awesome advice! It's not that I don't like it, it's actually really cute but I'm just afraid when she gets older it'll hurt. Thanks again everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by