Beggining Layer Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by furrybollocks, Sep 25, 2015.

1. furrybollocks

furrybollocks Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    I have one girl who's getting about ready to lay at 4 1/2 months so it's time to switch her onto layer feed and pump some extra calcium into her, but my other pullets aren't quite there yet. I have two that are coming up on three and four months, and I don't want to mess with their health. Would it be okay to go ahead and make the switch from grower, or do I need to wait? They all eat from the same feeder together and I'm not sure how I would seperate them if I really have to.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Always switch based on the age of the youngest bird in the flock. I would wait until your 12 week olds are at least 16 weeks.

Grower alone for a period of time won't hurt an older bird but calcium-laden layer feeds can injure younger fowl's kidneys.

3. bigt447

bigt447 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    I recommend that you put out crushed oyster shells now.....i understand that only needing the extra calcium will eat it.

4. furrybollocks

furrybollocks Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Okay, thank you for the tips. I'll stick with grower and oyster shells until mid October and then make the transition- hopefully more of my girls will be ready to lay by then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by