Beginner breeds

HWS sutton

In the Brooder
May 11, 2016
Hi. Just starting out with chickens. I have a small garden so need a breed that can be in a run most of the day. It also has to be a good layer. Digging up plants to a minimum. And also very friendly as a pet. Hope you can help?

Hi, welcome to byc.

Not sure about the garden, but I think good starter breed are barred rocks, easter eggers, and orpingtons. That being said, there are tons of personality range between individuals even in the same breed. How many are you getting?

Hi, welcome to byc.

Not sure about the garden, but I think good starter breed are barred rocks, easter eggers, and orpingtons. That being said, there are tons of personality range between individuals even in the same breed. How many are you getting?

X2 on the Orpingtons and Easter Eggers. I have no experience with barred rocks. My easter eggers have been decent layers, one laying pretty consistently an egg every other day, and my other one laying about 5 days a week. Also, both of my EEs are very quiet, much quieter than my orpington. My orpington is my friendliest bird, and she lays pretty well, between 4 to 6 eggs a week. That said, all chickens are going to scratch and dig and eat plants and dig holes to dust bathe in.

Hi. Just starting out with chickens. I have a small garden so need a breed that can be in a run most of the day. It also has to be a good layer. Digging up plants to a minimum. And also very friendly as a pet. Hope you can help?

Welcome to BYC! Buff Orpingtons and Easter Eggers are both very common and sweet-natured and good egg layers. I don't have experience with Faverolles but they are said to be sweet natured and docile. Good luck! :)
henny1129

I had barred rocks for several years. Really enjoyed them. Very sociable gals. Followed me all over the yard, talking to me all the while. Now I have a New Hampshire who is very friendly, and an EE who mutters (about what, I'm not sure, but mutter she must). My other hens are friendly, but the two, New Hampshire and EE, really stand out.

Back
Top Bottom