Beginner breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by byrdman03, Sep 29, 2011.

1. byrdman03

byrdman03 New Egg

Sep 21, 2011
    I am new to this whole keeping chickens thing and wondered if anyone had suggestions as to what it a good breed for beginners?
    I need a layer who is easy to handle and hardy to disease. I am in the beginning stages doing research on chickens and can't decide. Any ideas?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Anything from a hatchery or feedstore that is popular, really.

Sex-Links, Easter Eggers (falsely sold as Ameraucanas though) Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, Cochins, Production Reds, Black Australorps, Wyandottes,. . .

3. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:if you are looking for egg layers only and not seeking to breed or show then the assorted sex-links out there from the hatcheries will do you well. You do not need a rooster for eating eggs only for hatching eggs. Keep in mind the sex-links are a cross and will not reproduce themselves.
    If you are wanting to be able to repoduce a breed for yourself and still only want eggs leghorns are a good choice, but they are small so preparing the extra cockrells for a meal can be more trouble than it's worth.
    There are many good options out there based on what your real desires are.

4. chickymomma68

chickymomma68 Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    Gahanna,OH
    If you have harsh winters, you should consider this in your choices. I have Dominiques, but something with a Rose comb for frostbite prevention should be on your short list. Some breeds do better in heat and others in cold. Dominiques fair well in both and are dependable winter layers. They do prefer to forage so they have free run of the backyard for a few hours a day at least. Good luck and enjoy! I love mine!

5. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    Quote:I agree dont forget to consider weather. actually on this site is a useful tool where you can put in what you would like in a chicken, and it will give you results of the best breed you are looking for. I will try to post the thread.... unless someone else finds it first. [​IMG]

6. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
  7. amenfarm

amenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    I've used the breeds section myself. I was looking for cold hardy, calm, dual- purpose, great layers, and one breed for broodyness. If your not into breeding or preserving a breed of chicken, the hybrids almost can't be beat for laying. The golden comets, ISA browns, -if you pick a sex link you will know the sex at day one -red sex link, black sex link. it helped me find 6 breeds to try, instead of getting all one breed.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  8. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    My Easter Eggers (hatcheries will call them Americanas, Ameraucanas, or Araucanas) and my red sex-link (red star, golden comet, cinnamon queen, many many names) are my favorite chickens both for their personalities and they lay almost every single day. My sex-link is 2.5 years old and she still lays at least 5 super Jumbo sized eggs per week! My EE's are only 6 months and have only been laying for a few weeks and they haven't skipped more than a day or 2 each since they started laying. I also have a little bantam who lays daily, but her eggs, while very cute, are very tiny, so maybe not what you're looking for. She's a sweetie, though! I believe she's a mix of Dutch and Minorca or Andalusian bantams.

9. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    My Delawares pullets are super friendly and don't seem to mind the cold - they go out in rain and snow-

10. byrdman03

byrdman03 New Egg

Sep 21, 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions!
    It is nice to know there is so much support out there for us beginners![​IMG]

The winters aren't too bad where I am at so I am leaning towards Easter Eggers.

I will definately use the best breed thread DirtCreature listed first before I make any final decisions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by