1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

beginner eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by naughtychicks, Aug 29, 2016.

1. naughtychicks

naughtychicks New Egg

Aug 29, 2016
    I have 5 hens that have recently started laying. Today there were 2 eggs in the nest when I let the girls out of the barn. My RIR went in to lay hers. When I got her from the barn her egg was there, and one of the previous eggs was broken, but nothing was eaten.[​IMG]

Possibly thin shell, spotted, not like others. I have 3 golden comets, one RIR, and one? She is black with brownish feathers on the head, small comb and wattles, with a darker tint. [​IMG]

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Not sure what your asking really?
    If they are all using the same nest, the egg got broken buy the other hen trying to lay hers..I always remove eggs as soon as I see them...She is young and a bit clumsy still....

3. naughtychicks

naughtychicks New Egg

Aug 29, 2016
    Trying to find out what kind the hen may be, and from what I read, eggs may be softer at first--this would have been her first. I try to get the eggs when I find them, but the RIR was standing there making noises at me, so I didn't want to fool with the nest.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Could be some kind of Marans or Marans mix........could also be a black sexlink.
    Where did you get the birds?

If the egg was thin shelled, chances are a bird stepped on it and it broke....
    .....not unusual for new layers to have thin/soft shelled eggs, and yes, good to check nests often to avoid a wet mess to clean up.

5. naughtychicks

naughtychicks New Egg

Aug 29, 2016
    Thank you. Tractor Supply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by