Beginner here! Love this website!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by midwifebeth, Mar 8, 2013.

1. midwifebeth

midwifebeth Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Hi,

My name is Beth. I've been a city girl most of my life but always wished I could live a little more "country." So this year, I've planted a garden and I'm building a chicken coop for 3 hens that we have not bought yet. I'm reading everything I can to learn and prepare but I have no experience.

My husband and I have been happily married almost 40 years and we have 3 children and 14 grandchildren! I've been a midwife for 15 years and have attended the birth of over 300 babies and delivered 6 of my own grandchildren, too. I love just about anything that is natural or artistic.

I'm also not afraid to learn and try new things. I consider life to be an adventure! [​IMG]So this new adventure of raising chickens should be fun, too.

I started a blog of sorts about building a coop behind my garage apartment. So if you want to observe me succeed or fail, it should be fun either way.

This is a really helpful website! I'm really enjoying reading and learning.

~ Beth, (a Texas Midwife)

2. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Hi Beth, Welcome to BYC! I'm also from Corpus...we might be neighbors!

3. TravisE

TravisE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    fayette county wv
    [​IMG] & [​IMG]

4. Jennsbirds

Jennsbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Bay Area
    Sounds awesometastic!

I'll check out your blog when I'm on my main computer. It sounds so cool to read urbam farming starter blogs.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

6. midwifebeth

Mar 6, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Thanks for the welcome! Nice to meet someone from CC! I'm looking for a good place to buy chickens when I'm ready. Any recommendations? I've got one Facebook friend who offered some but I'd like to know my options. :)

7. midwifebeth

Mar 6, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Thanks for all the welcomes everyone. Jennsbirths, I hope you enjoy reading my blog. I figure this will be even more fun if I document. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  8. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    I don't know any individual breeders to recommend, sorry. The one time I bought chickens from a local individual was a disaster. The chickens were not in good health, but I didn't know enough at the time to be able to tell.

Tractor Supply has "Chick Days" going on right now, but I'm not sure how long it lasts. There may be feed stores in town that have chicks this time of year, too.

I order directly from hatcheries and/or place orders through a feed store in Orange Grove called 4B. The Co-op in Orange Grove also has chicks around this time of year, but I haven't checked with them to see if they've gotten any yet.

Do you know about when you'll be ready to purchase or what breeds you'd like to have?

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Beth, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Sounds like you lead a full and exciting life! Hope chickens bring you additional joy! Good luck with your coop building!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by